Would disability put you off dating someone?

Thought I'd start a thread to see how people feel about this.

If YOU were single and you met someone who you got on with and there was some romantic interest there, but they told you that they had a disability/condition which is likely to get worse with age and lead to problems in the future.. would it stop you from entering a relationship with this person?

For the benefit of the question we'll say the sufferer could have Muscular Dystrophy or M.S. or a similar condition. They are in fine health at the moment but you know that if things work out you could end up married to someone who is totally dependent on being cared for in later life.

I know that my opinion is I would probably crack on anyway and not let it cloud my judgment about whether the person is someone I want to share experiences and life with, but I'm interested to know what others think.

I suspect it has nothing to do with ability to work but more of an ability to have and enjoy sex. Presumably a woman who is paralysed from the waist down would have no sexual sensation either. I can see why this would put men off as a man paralysed from the waist down would put off a lot of women.

I am just sick of people who hate disabled people for all the WRONG reasons IMO... If we could have some kind of wonderous operation on the NHS to make us able bodied, I'm sure most of us would willingly do it!

I am just sick of people who hate disabled people for all the WRONG reasons IMO... If we could have some kind of wonderous operation on the NHS to make us able bodied, I'm sure most of us would willingly do it!

Eh? Where has anyone said that they hate disabled people? You've made a quantum leap from posters saying that they would not date someone with a certain disability to them hating the disabled.

Archived