Would disability put you off dating someone?

Well as per the post we are saying that the person is in fine health at the moment. They may even be more active and athletic than you are!

But there is a possibility that in later years the person could suffer from things arising from the condition. This can affect sensation, speech, ability to walk.. you don't really know what will happen and when, but it COULD happen at any time.

Also, we don't know what advances in medical science could develop over the next 20 years which could provide a cure or alleviation of the symptoms to help the person have a more independent lifestyle.

It is an interesting debate. Those that have said they wouldn't are indeed entitled to their opinion, I'd be interested to know what they would envisage happening if they were unfortunate enough to suffer an accident which would leave them with limited mobility - would they expect their OH to leave them? How would they feel about people avoiding them specifically because of their disability?

<my bold> or your loved-one could walk out in front of a bus, tomorrow, and end up paralysed, or have a brain haemorrhage.

The thing is to look at the person behind the disability, and not the disability itself.

<my bold> or your loved-one could walk out in front of a bus, tomorrow, and end up paralysed, or have a brain haemorrhage.

The thing is to look at the person behind the disability, and not the disability itself.

Disagree.

Dating someone is a choice. Your child walking in front of a bus isn't. By choosing you bring disability into your life..that cannot be ignored.

Disability is an emotive topic for all concerned. I'd appreciate if jokes and crudities were left off the thread.

I disagree, I require no one to ban or remove threads on my behalf. It's making fun of our ailments to some extent that enables us to carry on.

Are you disabled your self, or did you contact any disabled to see what they thought. You would not pull posts over the able boddied, please treat us the same, we do not require "kid glove" treatment by anyone.

Regards

Angel.

When it comes to nature, we are all pre programmed to choose the best partner we can get to produce off spring with. I'ts been well proven that people who are considered very attractive are less prone to disease etc, and hence the best partner for reproducing with. So a question about an obvious disability would emote a similar kind of reaction from most people. Where things can be different is within a relationship where a partner comes disabled after many years of being together. That partner is probably more likely to stay and become the prime carer. But as for a disabled person trying to date physically fit people, I expect it's very hard given our biological preprogramming.

When it comes to nature, we are all pre programmed to choose the best partner we can get to produce off spring with. I'ts been well proven that people who are considered very attractive are less prone to disease etc, and hence the best partner for reproducing with. So a question about an obvious disability would emote a similar kind of reaction from most people. Where things can be different is within a relationship where a partner comes disabled after many years of being together. That partner is probably more likely to stay and become the prime carer. But as for a disabled person trying to date physically fit people, I expect it's very hard given our biological preprogramming.

Can't say as I believe this theory, those intincts to pick the strongest, fittest, healthiest mate don't really apply to us as a species, and what's very attractive?

Archived