Would disability put you off dating someone?

I know a guy who is married to a girl who cannot speak (dumb). I think that I could live with that.

That comment is offensive and sexist. The term "Dumb" is also not an acceptable term, as it has connotations of mental deficiency. It's objectionable particularly in the context that you have already qualified that the woman in question cannot speak.

It's like saying "My sister has cerebral palsy, she's a 'spazz'!"

We understand what it is to have cerebral palsy, just as we understand the concept of someone having an inability to speak, so the qualifier isn't needed.

It would depend on the disability.

I'm not going to lie, if it is a quite visible physical disability, there is a chance it would put me off. Not because I'm discriminatory, but simply because I may not be attracted to them because of the disability.

Of course this would not be a problem if I got to know the person first and we grew to like each other, but it may be quite harad to see past on an initial attraction.

That comment is offensive and sexist. The term "Dumb" is also not an acceptable term, as it has connotations of mental deficiency. It's objectionable particularly in the context that you have already qualified that the woman in question cannot speak.

It's like saying "My sister has cerebral palsy, she's a 'spazz'!"

We understand what it is to have cerebral palsy, just as we understand the concept of someone having an inability to speak, so the qualifier isn't needed.

Why is it sexist?

I don't agree with you 100% with the offensive, but each to their own on that, but I don't understand why you say it's sexist.

The word 'dumb' is perfectly acceptable as far as I'm aware. It is defined in the dictionary and is the correct term. It is other people who are in the wrong when they use the word as an insult for other things.

Exactly, it's just like saying, my mate has no arms or legs..( quadraplegic)

Is this wrong also?

Edit

thanks Halibut for putting me right, I should have said, no use of his arms or legs.

Exactly, it's just like saying, my mate has no arms or legs..( quadraplegic)

Is this wrong also?

It's completely wrong, actually... A quadriplegic has little or no use of their arms and legs, not that their arms and/or legs are missing. If that were the case, they'd be described as an amputee.

Archived