Would disability put you off dating someone?

It's completely wrong, actually... A quadriplegic has little or no use of their arms and legs, not that their arms and/or legs are missing. If that were the case, they'd be described as an amputee.

I edited my post, why did you find the post sexist?

You are also wrong, not all people who have missing limbs are amputees.

Exactly, it's just like saying, my mate has no arms or legs..( quadraplegic)

Is this wrong also?

Edit

thanks Halibut for putting me right, I should have said, no use of his arms or legs.

The word 'dumb' has exremely negative connotations, particularly within the deaf community - it has historically upheld the notion that those who can't speak are stupid.

The word 'dumb' has exremely negative connotations, particularly within the deaf community - it has historically upheld the notion that those who can't speak are stupid.

I can actually see both sides of it. It is quite similar to the word 'gay'. Which has been hijacked by people using it in a negative way to describe something which they don't like.

I edited my post, why did you find the post sexist?

You are also wrong, not all people who have missing limbs are amputees.

Whether you are born without a limb, or if it is later removed by trauma or surgery, the term is amputee.

edit sorry forgot to explain the "sexist" bit.

the way your comment was phrased sounded as if you were saying you'd like a woman who was unable to speak.

I know people who are "deaf and dumb" and that's how THEY describe themselves.

Whether you are born without a limb, or if it is later removed by trauma or surgery, the term is amputee.

What is the term for someone who can't speak?

And, again......

Why was the post sexist?

I have never heard of a thalidomide victim being called an amputee.

And it don't make it wrong either, if my friends are happy with me calling them that then that's all that matters to me.

Actually I don't call them that, I call them by their names but I describe them exactly the way they do and I will continue to do so.

What description would you call them, just out of curiosity?

I'd probably use their names. Other than that I'd say they were deaf without speech.

Archived