Would disability put you off dating someone?

Interestingly, in response to the OP's poser about whether anyone would marry someone who was in fine health at that time but suffering from a degenerative disorder which would render them disabled and dependent on the other partner, I often wonder how many women take this into consideration when they shack up with someone 30 years their senior. Chances are that they will be caring for some drooling and incontinent male in their 80s when they are a relatively youthful 50-something.:gag:

That comment is offensive and sexist. The term "Dumb" is also not an acceptable term, as it has connotations of mental deficiency. It's objectionable particularly in the context that you have already qualified that the woman in question cannot speak.

It's like saying "My sister has cerebral palsy, she's a 'spazz'!"

We understand what it is to have cerebral palsy, just as we understand the concept of someone having an inability to speak, so the qualifier isn't needed.

I believe that "dumb " is the correct term for someone who cannot speak. I stated someone who cannot speak in my post before I put dumb in brackets because I did not wish people to misunderstand my post as being "dumb" as in not very bright. There are many different definitions of the word.

Why not? They can't help their disability.. Is it because they don't work? Except possibly volunteering in a charity shop for instance?

But say you love camping and outdoor activities, a disability like that would prevent you doing the things you love in the future. That would stop me from wanting to take a relationship further. It may not be fair-but life isn't fair!

I believe that "dumb " is the correct term for someone who cannot speak. I stated someone who cannot speak in my post before I put dumb in brackets because I did not wish people to misunderstand my post as being "dumb" as in not very bright. There are many different definitions of the word.

Many deaf people who cannot speak (the two often go together) find the term very offensive as it carries the connotation of stupidity.

Most deaf people who can't speak prefer the term 'deaf without speech'.

Many deaf people who cannot speak (the two often go together) find the term very offensive as it carries the connotation of stupidity.

Most deaf people who can't speak prefer the term 'deaf without speech'.

Mute is the accepted term for people undable to speak and someone who can't hear too is deaf, mute. I only know this as I used to be a medical secretary and I have typed this term on several occasions.

Mute is certainly more acceptable than 'dumb', but deaf without speech is the favoured term within the deaf community.

In America the term 'deaf mute' is perfectly acceptable, but then again so is 'handicapped'. A couple of my friends have deaf kids, I will ask them. However, slang and language varies enormously in the deaf community as it does in the hearing one, so I imagine that there is not a common consensus about appropriate terminology.

Archived