Name That Street

JOHN HABS

Bottom end of Broomspring Lane ( towards Springfield School ).....on the left is Cavendish Street - what was the name of the street that ran adjacent to it ?

Can't think for the life of me what is was called even though I was born in the area and lived in Victoria Street until the houses were demolished.

I can remember however that there was a pub which was run by a family called Elliot's,

there was a newsagents on the opposit side that used to sell jokes and fireworks - I joined their firework club and would put some of my pocket money in every week and get my card stamped......come November 5th you would take a tin to the shop, be shown into the back

and pick your fireworks to the value you had on your card.

Much further down and on the same side ( not too far off St.Silas Church ) there was a bakery shop.

Can also remember that there was a Monmouth Lane and Monmouth Street that ran off the street I'm trying to remember.

Era would be late 1950's - early 1960's

John,

I'm guessing that you mean Broomhall St, in which case the newsagents was probably Stutchburies (not sure about the spelling). I lived on Aberdeen St and the shop was just round the corner towards Springfield School.

I seem to remember a shop towards St.Silas called Glaves but it was a fruit and veg shop.

You have a good memory, David T! - these scans:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Directories/Broomhall2.jpg

showing the businesses etc. on both sides of Broomhall Street are taken from the 1942 Kelly's Directory. Stuchbury's newsagents shop is there at No 136 and Glaves fruit & veg. at No 190..:)

I was intrigued by the unusual name Stuchbury. Public records show that Cyril Stuchbury came from Chapeltown; he died aged 70 in 1982.

As a child I lived in a shop at the corner of Broomhall St/Monmouth St.(Early 60's).It was a typical corner shop selling everything from beer to Rennies!I remember Stuchburry's newsagents being a bit further down Broomhall St towards St.Silas.I also remember watching a "little mester" making knife blades in a forge behind some houses at the bottom of Monmouth St.A little bit ironic,as Viners was just round the corner!

Could do with knowing the name of the pub opposite our shop?

Hi

I can't remember the name of the pub but I remember Monmouth street really well. Some of the houses still had bunting from the Coronation celebrations hanging years after the event.

I lived on Upper Hanover Street and went to Springfield School in the 50's. I remember Ibbotson's shop near the school - I was friends with Noreen Ibbotson.

Do you remember Hanover Square - behind St. Silas Church? There was a green area area in the middle of the square with trees and bushes to climb and hide in. The Collinson family ran a dance school in one of the huge houses on the square.

Opposite the church was Webster's newsagent and a laundry.

I remember a cobblers, Fred Higgins' grocery shop and a shop selling pots and pans. On Upper Hanover Street there was Pinders bakery.

As a child I lived in a shop at the corner of Broomhall St/Monmouth St.(Early 60's).It was a typical corner shop selling everything from beer to Rennies!I remember Stuchburry's newsagents being a bit further down Broomhall St towards St.Silas.I also remember watching a "little mester" making knife blades in a forge behind some houses at the bottom of Monmouth St.A little bit ironic,as Viners was just round the corner!

Could do with knowing the name of the pub opposite our shop?

Hi HARTLES,

In my initial posting of ' Name That Street ' I mentioned a pub and said that it was run by a family called Elliots ( think I've spelt that right ) I seem to think that the pub was also called Elliots - It was a Stone's House.

JOHN HABS

Hi John Habs

I tried to reply to your direct message but failed because I have not posted the regulation 5 messages minimum on the open forum yet.

I can't remember Noreen's sister's name either. Mind you I have trouble these days remembering the names of people I was introduced to 2 minutes ago!

I remember the following people in my class at school- Elaine Elliot (still have photos of when she was May Queen when we were in Mrs Sicora's class), Gillian Smith. Pat Joyce, Kenneth Powell.

Teachers I remember are Mr and Mrs Philbech plus Miss Hall who wore two pairs of specs at the same time.

Hi HARTLES, In my initial posting of ' Name That Street ' I mentioned a pub and said that it was run by a family called Elliots..
The 1942 directory shows Mrs A. Elliott as licensee of the "Albert Inn" at 113 Broomhall Street (this would have been more-or-less opposite the end of Monmouth Street). Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site that shows the Broomhall Tavern on the corner (at 105-107 Broomhall Street) and the Albert Inn a little further away.