Name That Street

JOHN HABS

...I can't remember Noreen's sister's name either...
The births index shows a Noreen Ibbotson, born in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1950, who evidently had an older sister Marylynn, born Oct-Dec 1947. Noreen seems to have married a Norman Roxbrough in 1972.

Hi John Habs

I tried to reply to your direct message but failed because I have not posted the regulation 5 messages minimum on the open forum yet.

I can't remember Noreen's sister's name either. Mind you I have trouble these days remembering the names of people I was introduced to 2 minutes ago!

I remember the following people in my class at school- Elaine Elliot (still have photos of when she was May Queen when we were in Mrs Sicora's class), Gillian Smith. Pat Joyce, Kenneth Powell.

Teachers I remember are Mr and Mrs Philbech plus Miss Hall who wore two pairs of specs at the same time.

Hello pjo77,

You didnt say what your name was so I cant tell if you and I knew each other or not ?

Kenneth Powell rings a bell but cant remember the other two you mention.....only ones I remember from Springfield are Miss Hall who had glasses like beer bottle bottoms and use to play the piano ( use to have us wearing navy blue shorts and black pumps dancing in the lower hall pretending to be trees blowing in the wind ) and Mr.Mrs Holsworth who were the headmaster and head mistress. Although many years ago now, I still remember everything about Victoria Street as though it was only yesterday.

Hello pjo77,

You didnt say what your name was so I cant tell if you and I knew each other or not ?

Kenneth Powell rings a bell but cant remember the other two you mention.....only ones I remember from Springfield are Miss Hall who had glasses like beer bottle bottoms and use to play the piano ( use to have us wearing navy blue shorts and black pumps dancing in the lower hall pretending to be trees blowing in the wind ) and Mr.Mrs Holsworth who were the headmaster and head mistress. Although many years ago now, I still remember everything about Victoria Street as though it was only yesterday.

hiya john habs.we came from the same neck of the woods as i lived on bath st in the 40s/50s.i can see from your letter you are a bit younger than me from how you said about miss hall and mr holdsworth as he was headmaster just before i left in 1953, the one before him was mr kinman, whose daughter married redfern froggatt the wednesday footballer, i think the road you want to know about was broomhall st, we always called it elliots later recalled that it was the albert. there were 3 pubs on that block.the broomhall tavern,albert,bath hotel, did you know there were 22 pubs in a quarter of an hours walk from our house on bath st, the shop on the other side of broomhall st was in the 40s and early 50s the broomhall postoffice ran by a mr ratcliffe. the roads around were victorian history named. names of any other i'll be glad to help.

another thing was as i remember that the house opposite the albert lived david baldwin ( baldwins omega)) and further on opposite viners the bottom of aberdeen st lived jimmy crawford ( ron lindsey). singer...

Edited by willybite

It looks as though the pub would have been the Bath,as it appears from the maps The Albert wouldn't have been opposite Monmouth St.I also remember the pub had a large wooden gate at the side where my father kept his van after the pub had closed down.I also remember Hanover Sq,as I attended a nursery just a bit further up.I went to Springfield School,but in the early 60's.The photo shows Broomhall St to be alot wider than I remember,but I was only young!

Thanks for everyones info.

The Bath Hotel was on the corner of Victoria Street and Convent Walk. The Albert Inn (shown in directories at 113 Broomhall Street, just along from the Broomhall Tavern at Nos 105-107) was opposite the end of Monmouth Lane. In the photo that hillsboro linked in post #10, the corner of Broomspring Lane can be seen at the extreme right, and the gas lamp behind the "keep left" sign was on the corner of Monmouth Lane, opposite the Albert.

Thanks for the info.I know the Bath Hotel on Victoria St as it's still there.But willybite states there were three pubs in the block,The Broomhall,The Albert and The Bath.I figured out from the previous info that the Albert was opposite Monmouth Lane so it can't be that.Is there no reference to The Bath on Broomhall St in the directories?

Ta

Ah - I love this thread. I've just remembered someone else who lived on / near Broomhall Street - Geoffrey Beatson. I remember we carefully planned how we could sit together when we went on our visit to Springfield Junior prior to moving up from the infants :) Don't think the plot worked.

I once got the ruler across my hand from Miss Hall for sneezing.

Aberdeen Street and Monmouth Street were all tiny back to back houses with shared courtyards, outside toilets and washrooms.

There was a cat shelter in the area - I think it was on Gell Street.

There was a chip shop at the top of Aberdeen Street - opposite a pub.