British Oak Pub on Carbrook Street

Awadan

The Coldwell family ran the pub from about 1850 to 1895 or thereabouts. Robert Coldwell, 1821-1889, was my Great Great Grandfather, and his wife, Eliza Coldwell, need Batty, 1821-1905, my G.G. Grandmother. They had a son, James 1845- ????, and two daughters, Emma, 1848-1904, and Sarah, 1851-1912.

Sarah married Francis (Frank) Wilson, I think he was from Snig Hill, 1847-1887, and they had four daughters, Clara 1872-1949, Gertrude 1872-1948, Emma (my grandmother) 1877-1949, and Eliza, 1874-1929. Gertrude and Eliza remained spinsters and worked at Queen Ethelburger's School for Girls, at Harrogate as matron and housekeeper respectively. The only one of these ancestors I knew was my lovely Auntie Gertie, who I loved to bits. Emma married Henry Bunker, a works Constable, who was from Epsom, where he had been a butler and later a poiice officer.

Clara married George Baker, and they had John Willie, Frances Eliza, and Constance Gertrude.

Frank Wilson died aged 30 in 1877, shortly after or during a term of imprisonment for having something to do with fiddling an election result. He is the mystery of the family.

I only knew Gertrude, and would like to hear from anyone who has family connected with any of the others. I came across the Coldwell family whilst researching my own immediate family.

...Frank Wilson died aged 30 in 1877, shortly after or during a term of imprisonment for having something to do with fiddling an election result...
Hi - I don't know if you have access to scanned newspapers, but this report appeared in the Leeds Mercury of 12 March 1877.

Archived