A man with questions

Raptornet

Thanks for the replies, though I am still hoping someone will answer my original question.

"go about taking an idea and put it in to words."

Hearing how other people go about their writing process might give me some insight to my own. At the present moment, I think what I shall do. Is write something brief for each stage of the story and it's characters, locations and then begin writing.

While I'm sure having a 40+ page plan for reference is handy for some people, I've always found the story is already written inside me. All that's needed, is for me to transfer it to paper.

I do agree with what has been said regarding character reactions being an unknown. Placing them in a life or death situation, can be like watching a play unfold. For me it's all part of the fun of writing.

James

Right, here's some actual practical advice:

1. Write as much and as often as you can. It doesn't matter what you write, and it doesn't have to be towards some greater work. A piece can be as short as a sentence or even a few words - figuring out how to express your ideas is a key part of the process.

2. Read your own work as much as you can. Be honest, and redraft. For full effect keep early drafts and use them for comparison.

3. Don't expect your first stuff to be release-quality. It's a common and damaging misconception that if the first go isn't good it's not worth pursuing. Are you really expecting to be able to write like a pro the first time you try?

4. If you're stuck for a place to start, go to the middle. Think of a key scene that you know already, and have a go at writing that. If that doesn't work, have a go at describing one of your characters. You don't have to use it in the finished work, but it will inform and facilitate the process.

5. Don't mess about worrying about spelling and grammar. We can't all be capable copy-editors, but do try to express your ideas clearly.

6. If you're stuck, google the word you're thinking of with 'thesaurus'. This can give you a useable alternative.

7. Read. You wouldn't expect a pianist to be able to play without having heard others play, would you? There's a common conceit that reading is somehow obstructive to self-expression, but that's ridiculous. If writing is expressing yourself to others, how can one do that in isolation?

Don't worry too much about techniques. It's hard to do it well, but if it wasn't, there wouldn't be a market for good writing, would there?

Andy

Hi thanks for that

I've bought a notebook which I intend to use for my thoughts ects. Hopefully it will aid me in arranging all the idea's and information stored in the old noggin.

I'm going to begin writing some rough bits down at first. I think what has been holding me back thus far, is how to begin.

I didn't wish to start writing the story and then loose my way after the first couple of chapters. I think the notebook will help with that. I'm going to set out a series of goal's for each stage of the story.

Cheers

Archived