Do garages inflate their prices when its an insurance job?

had a little coming together with a ford Mondeo a 2008 model and i was driving a old 95 micra. i overtook this bloke and when i pulled back in a misjudged it and touched his offside front wing, just a little touch, but anyhow we both pulled over and i could not believe the size of the dent in the wing. it was around four inches long and about an inch wide. on my micra, there was a thin strip of paint that had rubbed off on the nearside rear bumper. really no damage at all, but the bloke wanted to go through insurance anyway. so we did but i got a call back from him and they want to charge £ 700 to change the front wing!. now is that a rip off or what? what are the wings on a Mondeo made of. it certainly seems to dent easily

had a little coming together with a ford Mondeo a 2008 model and i was driving a old 95 micra. i overtook this bloke and when i pulled back in a misjudged it and touched his offside front wing, just a little touch, but anyhow we both pulled over and i could not believe the size of the dent in the wing. it was around four inches long and about an inch wide. on my micra, there was a thin strip of paint that had rubbed off on the nearside rear bumper. really no damage at all, but the bloke wanted to go through insurance anyway. so we did but i got a call back from him and they want to charge £ 700 to change the front wing!. now is that a rip off or what? what are the wings on a Mondeo made of. it certainly seems to dent easily

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I had a quote to re-spray a scratched (but undinted) rear wing and that was £560 over 6 years ago.

thanks for the reply s, i just thought they saw an opening to make a few extra bucks from it. its all going through insurance anyhow, but its a big excess for me so it was a expensive little bump from my point of view. i know before anyone says, my fault! yes i know, just these things happen sometimes, luckily it was a low speed one and one one was injured.

thanks for the reply s, i just thought they saw an opening to make a few extra bucks from it. its all going through insurance anyhow, but its a big excess for me so it was a expensive little bump from my point of view. i know before anyone says, my fault! yes i know, just these things happen sometimes, luckily it was a low speed one and one one was injured.

Is you excess more than £700?

the difference is that insurance companies insist on new parts and all the labour that it entails.

At least you aren't paying it personally so the cost doesn't matter a great deal.

You wouldn't believe the number of cars being written off because new parts aren't available.

I'd still be a little cynical as well if it was me.

no five, so i will have to fork out £500. for that. ha that's twice what i paid for my car!. but you live and learn. look in your left hand mirror harder before you pull in.

And dont forget your next insurance premium could be a lot more to pay aswell.

Archived