Do garages inflate their prices when its an insurance job?

had a little coming together with a ford Mondeo a 2008 model and i was driving a old 95 micra. i overtook this bloke and when i pulled back in a misjudged it and touched his offside front wing, just a little touch, but anyhow we both pulled over and i could not believe the size of the dent in the wing. it was around four inches long and about an inch wide. on my micra, there was a thin strip of paint that had rubbed off on the nearside rear bumper. really no damage at all, but the bloke wanted to go through insurance anyway. so we did but i got a call back from him and they want to charge £ 700 to change the front wing!. now is that a rip off or what? what are the wings on a Mondeo made of. it certainly seems to dent easily

You pulled in and clipped the car you had been overtaking and you describe this as a "little coming together"! Dangerous driving would be more accurate. You couldn't possibly hit a car you were overtaking unless you pull straight in on other drivers without looking. You should count yourself extremely lucky that you are retaining your license, instead off fixating on the cost of replacing and painting a panel on the car you've damaged.

"on my micra, there was a thin strip of paint that had rubbed off on the nearside rear bumper. really no damage at all, but the bloke wanted to go through insurance anyway."

Well, of course he did. After all, it is his much more expensive car which you have caused significant damage to and not your own!

You pulled in and clipped the car you had been overtaking and you describe this as a "little coming together"! Dangerous driving would be more accurate. You couldn't possibly hit a car you were overtaking unless you pull straight in on other drivers without looking. You should count yourself extremely lucky that you are retaining your license, instead off fixating on the cost of replacing and painting a panel on the car you've damaged.

"on my micra, there was a thin strip of paint that had rubbed off on the nearside rear bumper. really no damage at all, but the bloke wanted to go through insurance anyway."

Well, of course he did. After all, it is his much more expensive car which you have caused significant damage to and not your own!

You just knew there had to be one "holier than thou" gobshyte didn't you!:roll: Mind you, to be fair, it took a few posts before it turned up.

You just knew there had to be one "holier than thou" gobshyte didn't you!:roll: Mind you, to be fair, it took a few posts before it turned up.

Why label a factual post as being "holier than thou"?

The OP sounds a very dangerous driver who thinks work on a 2008 Mondeo will cost the same as work/parts on a scabby old Micra.:rolleyes:

Why label a factual post as being "holier than thou"?

The OP sounds a very danger driver who thinks work on a 2008 Mondeo will cost the same as work/parts on a scabby old Micra.:rolleyes:

Because "Molly" had already admitted it was her fault....and I quote "i know before anyone says, my fault! yes i know, just these things happen sometimes, luckily it was a low speed one and one one was injured. " and quite obviously knows the gravity of what could have happened without some gobshyte having a "pop"

Because "Molly" had already admitted it was her fault....and I quote "i know before anyone says, my fault! yes i know, just these things happen sometimes, luckily it was a low speed one and one one was injured. " and quite obviously knows the gravity of what could have happened without some gobshyte having a "pop"

Still a little OTT though to call someone that. What is it with people today thinking they can verbally abuse someone without any come back?

Because "Molly" had already admitted it was her fault.

Admitting fault is a bit different to dangerous driving though, which is what the OP is guilty of.

Using "i know before anyone says, my fault! yes i know, just these things happen sometimes ..." is a feeble attempt to divert attention away from dangerous/bad driving (these things don't happen unless you're being careless - dangerous).

i have been driving for 20 years and this is my first accident in the car, ( had a few on my mountain bike, involving cars) so its the first time i have had to notify insurance company.

now the exact circumstances where, i had been behind this car for ohh about a mile, i kept my distance as 1, it was dark, 2,there were no street lighting, 3, i am a careful driver, 4, it was a a national speed limit road (60mph), 5 , it was raining so i gave them plenty of braking space, ( you know only a fool breaks the two second rule). but after this time we were travelling around 40mph. and i had a long stretch of open road in front, absolutely plenty of space for a over take. so i indicated pulled out accelerated upto around 45mph, looked in my rear veiw mirror then had a quick glance at my nearside mirror saw the lights of the car and proceeded to pull in. now there is my fault i misjudged the distance, plain and simple, a mistake. there was no pulling in sharply, no rush to overtake, no impatience on my part or the other car, simply an accident. now after 20 years of driving that was a first. now if people think that after one accident people should be charged with "DANGEROUS DRIVING" well all i can say is that the roads would be much quieter because i bet a heck of a lot of people would be banned.

now the exact circumstances where, i had been behind this car for ohh about a mile, i kept my distance as 1, it was dark, 2,there were no street lighting, 3, i am a careful driver, 4, it was a a national speed limit road (60mph), 5 , it was raining so i gave them plenty of braking space, ( you know only a fool breaks the two second rule). but after this time we were travelling around 40mph. and i had a long stretch of open road in front, .

National speed limit is a maximum, not a target to aim for especially on dark wet nights.

absolutely plenty of space for a over take. .

Obviously not.

When you are in a hole stop digging :thumbsup:

ohh wouldnt it be fun if none every overtook anybody else. i would personally love it, my main transport is a mountain bike. i would love people to trail me into town on a wet cold monday morning!! and not feel like i am being knocked off every time a car overtakes. bliss:hihi:

Admitting fault is a bit different to dangerous driving though, which is what the OP is guilty of.

Using "i know before anyone says, my fault! yes i know, just these things happen sometimes ..." is a feeble attempt to divert attention away from dangerous/bad driving (these things don't happen unless you're being careless - dangerous).

And I suppose you're a paragon of immaculate deriving at all times :roll:

Edit: Driving even :P

Archived