Do garages inflate their prices when its an insurance job?

ohh wouldnt it be fun if none every overtook anybody else. :

Instead of sarcasm how about re-reading the highway code ……….. just a thought. :idea:

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake

• use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move ou

not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking;Â there may only be enough room for one vehicle

• move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in• take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance

• give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road

• only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so

• stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

• give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in• take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance. yes thats the mistake i made,""Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in""• ohh except the cutting in bit. i

Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in• take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance. yes thats the mistake i made,""Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in""• ohh except the cutting in bit. i

They say that people learn from their mistakes ……… you wont be doing that again in a hurry will you.

Put it down to experience and let the insurance sort it out.

You just knew there had to be one "holier than thou" gobshyte didn't you!:roll: Mind you, to be fair, it took a few posts before it turned up.

There was nothing in my post that wasn't valid so I can assume you must be an internet warrior, a useless driver or most likely: both. ;)

now the exact circumstances where, i had been behind this car for ohh about a mile, i kept my distance as 1, it was dark, 2,there were no street lighting, 3, i am a careful driver, 4, it was a a national speed limit road (60mph), 5 , it was raining so i gave them plenty of braking space, ( you know only a fool breaks the two second rule). but after this time we were travelling around 40mph. and i had a long stretch of open road in front, absolutely plenty of space for a over take. so i indicated pulled out accelerated upto around 45mph, looked in my rear veiw mirror then had a quick glance at my nearside mirror saw the lights of the car and proceeded to pull in. now there is my fault i misjudged the distance, plain and simple, a mistake. there was no pulling in sharply, no rush to overtake, no impatience on my part or the other car, simply an accident. now after 20 years of driving that was a first.

My bold. Yes there was: the clear evidence being that you clipped another car when you did just that! Of course it was a mistake: but still, potentially a very dangerous one. It takes quite some time to get past a car doing 40mph if you overtake it at only 45mph. This may well have been a significant factor.

now if people think that after one accident people should be charged with "DANGEROUS DRIVING" well all i can say is that the roads would be much quieter because i bet a heck of a lot of people would be banned.

Not a bad thing at all if their driving is dangerous! Dangerous driving is what it is: it's nothing to do with clocking up a tally of instances. If the other car had been a Police car do you think you would not have been charged as a result? Regarding bans, there are a "heck of a lot of drivers" who need to be banned. They are just lucky that they are not seen by police when they endanger other road users.

My bold. Yes there was: the clear evidence being that you clipped another car when you did just that! Of course it was a mistake: but still, potentially a very dangerous one. It takes quite some time to get past a car doing 40mph if you overtake it at only 45mph. This may well have been a significant factor.

Not a bad thing at all if their driving is dangerous! Dangerous driving is what it is: it's nothing to do with clocking up a tally of instances. If the other car had been a Police car do you think you would not have been charged as a result? Regarding bans, there are a "heck of a lot of drivers" who need to be banned. They are just lucky that they are not seen by police when they endanger other road users.

driving on these roads full stop is dangerous, believe me, i am a keen cyclist and in the 20 years i have been driving i have only had one instance in the car. but on the bike whew i have literally lost track of the times when a car has either knocked my off, ran into the back of me, turn in front of me so i hit the side, of the car. lorry/ bus. all without indicating i might add. ( i keep a special look at when i pass a road on my left for this reason) so the roads being dangerous. ha yes you bet they are.

driving on these roads full stop is dangerous, believe me, i am a keen cyclist and in the 20 years i have been driving i have only had one instance in the car. but on the bike whew i have literally lost track of the times when a car has either knocked my off, ran into the back of me, turn in front of me so i hit the side, of the car. lorry/ bus. all without indicating i might add. ( i keep a special look at when i pass a road on my left for this reason) so the roads being dangerous. ha yes you bet they are.

The roads are dangerous because of the people travelling on them and the way many motorists attempt to squeeze around cyclists in their path is shocking.

Isn't amazing how a simple q from the op about costs to insurance companies has turned into a bad tempered rant on driving ability?

To answer the post.

A garage told me one of the reasons for the higher cost to an insurance company is that they have to wait a long time for their money.

Archived