Old quarry pit- Chancet Wood View?

Huscarl

Does anyone remember this 'road' before the scenic residential road it is today?

I think that it used to be an overgrown trackway, hedged in by wild shrub, long wild grass and trees, linking Chancet Wood "allotments" ('the dump' where us kids played) to the Meadowhead estate at the other side.

At this end - behind some high bushes/trees, there used to be a huge, rectangular quarry pit, always filled with clay and rainwater? Lethal to young kids?

Any pics would be great. Thanks

Not sure where Chancet Wood View is, but l do remember Ropers garage., and Gleesons being on Meadowhead looking over Graves Park. My counsins lived in a house between the two mentioned places, and yes there was a quarry belonging to Gleesons at the bottom of their gardens.

The road I meant is behind what is now (and then?) Waggon & Horses garage- which itself used to have a very bumpy, oily access 'roadway' between Meadowhead and over to Chancet near St.Thomas school.

Gleesons used to be an old quarry which (as a Supermarket) still backs onto the 15 or so houses between it's entrance (now traffic lights) and that small garage, all opposite Graves Park.

Did your cousins go to Abbey Lane school?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived