Celebrating Parson Cross - Dec 1, 7pm, at Parson Cross Library

EccleRd22

Remembering 'Margetson Chip'oil' at Parson Cross's literary evening with a difference

Sheffield's Parson Cross Estate might have regularly been in the news for all the wrong reasons in recent years but for many, there was no better place in the world to live and grow up.

In fact two books, 'Get Thi Neck Weshed' about life on the estate in the '50s and 'Gee'or Ruwerin' about growing up there a decade later, have become local best sellers.

They remember everything from the popular Saturday morning kids' shows at the Southey Ritz to, according to Steve Bush, "the best fish and chip shop on the Cross - 'Margetson Chip'oil'".

The estate is now gearing up for its own celebration of times gone by when the two authors, Graham Shepherd and Steve Bush, together with Parson Cross's most famous son, David Blunkett MP, present a literary evening with a difference.

The event, held on Thursday, December 1, at the area's Parson Cross Library @ The Learning Zone, will include question and answer sessions with the trio, exhibition of photos from the area in days gone by and a screening of ‘Sheffield – City On The Move’ – the 1971 film that fronts The Full Monty and includes footage of long gone Sheffield institutions like the Hole In The Road and The Fiesta.

The event is kindly sponsored by Asda. There will also be a chance to buy the books and get them signed by the authors.

Tickets cost £6.50/£5.50 concessions and are on sale from Parson Cross Library @ The Learning Zone. The event lasts from 7pm-9pm.

• 4 months later...

Was Parson cross built to house people from slum clearance ?

I know that both my Grandparents had grown up families and moved on to estate 1937. but I don't believe either were council tenants before that.

one set was from Carlisle street and the others from Crooks.

Just wondered if any one knew if there was a slum clearance going on there about that time?

Archived