Paying for shop bags

I keep a pretty nylon bag inside my handbag. It is the same size as a supermarket carrier bag and folds up very small into a little pouch. It's fab for unexpected pops into shops. I've had it years.

When I go to meadowhall or town on a 'spree' I optimistically take a massive cotton shopper to fit everything in.

I'm not prepared to pay for carrier bags...

The charge for bags is a tax, profits are already increased to compensate the store for providing a"free" carrier bag. Do they intend on reducing prices or do we as nation intend on blindly following some alleged environmental benefit like solar panels.

Modern carrier bags are insufficient to do multiple visits for a weekly grocery , some don't do the job once.

What about the little plastic bags they use to seperate products , i bet people still want to use those before using their environmental friendly bags?

Great that you won't pay for a carrier bag, that's exactly what the shop is aiming for, although I'm sure you already know that! You say that modern carrier bags are insufficient to do muliple visits, exactly, they want you to use your own reusable bag, ie made out of material and very reusable :help:

I'm surprised at you Willman :)

I keep a pretty nylon bag inside my handbag. It is the same size as a supermarket carrier bag and folds up very small into a little pouch. It's fab for unexpected pops into shops. I've had it years.

When I go to meadowhall or town on a 'spree' I optimistically take a massive cotton shopper to fit everything in.

Yep brilliant bags I too carry one around with me :)

Great that you won't pay for a carrier bag, that's exactly what the shop is aiming for, although I'm sure you already know that! You say that modern carrier bags are insufficient to do muliple visits, exactly, they want you to use your own reusable bag, ie made out of material and very reusable :help:

I'm surprised at you Willman :)

I reuse carrier bags -just not for shopping 'cos i honestly don't think they're good enough for multiple trips.

Its amazing how 1 carrier bag elicits such a huge response yet a carrier bag full of plastic wrappings from store bought items isn't as much of a problem.

I purchase as much produce in "recyclable" packaging as i can - i,e tins and cardboard or loose unlike the people with jute bags in most cases.

I'm even amazed at the new milk in a bag; replace a recyclable carton with a plastic non degradable plastic bag. What benefit does that have?

Went to Brantano Heeley Bottom yesterday, bought a pair of shoes.The assistant said it was 5p for a bag.I said what 5p for a bag what did she expect me to do carry the shoes in my hand on the bus.I only had an handbag.I was absolutely flabberghasted.I didnt think a shop could charge for bags advertising there name,or thats what i was told when i worked in a shop:rant:

AW come on!! spend a little more for a proper shopping bag and take it with you when you go out. it is not that difficult.

Went to Brantano Heeley Bottom yesterday, bought a pair of shoes.The assistant said it was 5p for a bag.I said what 5p for a bag what did she expect me to do carry the shoes in my hand on the bus.

How was she to know? I bought shoes from Brantano Heeley last month and declined a bag because the car was outside.

I reuse carrier bags -just not for shopping 'cos i honestly don't think they're good enough for multiple trips.

Its amazing how 1 carrier bag elicits such a huge response yet a carrier bag full of plastic wrappings from store bought items isn't as much of a problem.

I purchase as much produce in "recyclable" packaging as i can - i,e tins and cardboard or loose unlike the people with jute bags in most cases.

I'm even amazed at the new milk in a bag; replace a recyclable carton with a plastic non degradable plastic bag. What benefit does that have?

It is a problem, I shop avoiding excess packaging. I hope they start charging for rubbish because I will look forward to removing all the rubbish in the supermarket bin so that they get charged for it:D

Archived