Paying for shop bags

Has the penny dropped yet ? They do actually want you to use your own bag :hihi: Its called being green, you know to help the environment :)

Out of interest, what is it that is so environmentally friendly about not using a plastic carrier bag?

I can think of a few reasons why it is more environmentally friendly to use your own bag but, whilst every little helps, when you compare it with the environmental impact of packaging and transportation of the shoes, the impact in negligible.

I think that charging customers for bags has a greater impact on whether customers continue to use a shop. I've noticed some shops back tracking on charging (or maybe I'm just lucky and they don't charge me when I do forget). Whatever, if only 1% of people disagree with charging for bags and throw their dummy on the floor and go elsewhere, it's the shop that's going to lose out. Much better to offer an incentive not to use a bag rather than penalise the paying customer.

Went to Brantano Heeley Bottom yesterday, bought a pair of shoes.The assistant said it was 5p for a bag.I said what 5p for a bag what did she expect me to do carry the shoes in my hand on the bus.I only had an handbag.I was absolutely flabberghasted.I didnt think a shop could charge for bags advertising there name,or thats what i was told when i worked in a shop:rant:

I have never heard of shoe/clothes shop charging for a bag. Marks and Spencer rightly charge for a bag in the food hall but do not charge in any of the other departments. I always take my own bags to the supermarket but have seen people filling supermarket carriers with shopping then taking a few for luck

As much as I support the idea of reusing bags to supposedly affect the environment, have you ever wondered whether this is a huge marketing ploy by supermarkets to get you to pay for long lasting bags which have their logo on, that you will reuse and take into other supermarkets, thus giving them free advertising when you use them elsewhere.

It's like Gap and F.C.U.K T shirts, or any other article that you buy which has a logo on. It gives the manufacturer free advertising, but you're paying them to be able to advertise for them.

We never ever see these bags for life with just a pretty picture on. They're always emblazoned with the name of the shop.

As much as I support the idea of reusing bags to supposedly affect the environment, have you ever wondered whether this is a huge marketing ploy by supermarkets to get you to pay for long lasting bags which have their logo on, that you will reuse and take into other supermarkets, thus giving them free advertising when you use them elsewhere.

It's like Gap and F.C.U.K T shirts, or any other article that you buy which has a logo on. It gives the manufacturer free advertising, but you're paying them to be able to advertise for them.

We never ever see these bags for life with just a pretty picture on. They're always emblazoned with the name of the shop.

But it's the same with plastic carriers isn't it?

But it's the same with plastic carriers isn't it?

I'm purely referring to the ones you have to pay for. Not the ones they do give away for free - that justifies the advertising, however when you have to pay a retailer to then go on advertising them, it's different.

If only canvas bags or cotton bags without advertising on them were more readily available by the tills, I'd be more inclined to buy them.

I save all my plastic bags, i have a trash holder just made for those bags, fits right under my sink, i also keep them to put my grandaughters dirty nappies in before i put them out in the bin.:)

Also at one tiime teachers would use them by cutting accross the bottom of the bags it put over the toddlers while painting..like an apron.:)

Archived