Would you support austerity measures if your family were to pay the price?

Would you support Greek style austerity measures in the UK?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support Greek style austerity measures in the UK?

• yes - provided other people and familys were to pay the price
    • No - its too high a price to pay

If you were a Greek, or come the time when we face austerity, will you welcome these packages of massive cuts?
I guess it would depend on whether I was a (relatively) young worker paying my way into the system, or a retiree on full pay aged 51 :twisted:

Now, which sort outnumbers the other in Greece?

It doesnt go down well when you are being told to lose the community swimming baths by the guy with the heated private pool in his garden.

It would be a struggle, but I think I might just be able to live without community swimming baths if it came down to a choice between swimming and food.

I think the Greeks are perfectly entitled to retire at 55 and then enjoy lazy afternoons drinking espresso (or something stronger) in the sun while we work until we drop to subsidise them. :rolleyes:

That usually only applies to their public sector workers though. ;) The Greek public sector has been reported as being one of the most inefficient, yet because of the 'jobs for life' and 'early retirement' packages, it is the most sought after employer in Greece.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/9526090.stm

I'd support austerity measures as long as they were proportionate and fair. Take a bit more off the top and the rest of us would only have to suffer a little.

It doesnt go down well when you are being told to lose the community swimming baths by the guy with the heated private pool in his garden.

I know where you're coming from on this. It's not easy to accept changes when these requests are coming from someone whose circumstances barely alter.

It would be a struggle, but I think I might just be able to live without community swimming baths if it came down to a choice between swimming and food.

OK Lets try that again.

It doesnt go down well when the guy who owns the bakery tells you to live on pie crusts.

The point being it is those who are unaffected by the measures who wish to impose them with no effect whatsoever on their own lifestyles.

Aat the pie crusts and drink the baths in the certain knowledge that those who require you to do it and have arguably caused the situation will be completely unaffected even though we are all in it together.

OK Lets try that again.

It doesnt go down well when the guy who owns the bakery tells you to live on pie crusts.

The point being it is those who are unaffected by the measures who wish to impose them with no effect whatsoever on their own lifestyles.

Aat the pie crusts and drink the baths in the certain knowledge that those who require you to do it and have arguably caused the situation will be completely unaffected even though we are all in it together.

Don't you think the Greek people have had a hand in their problems..?

None whatsoever - they have been guided by their peers and government pretty much as we have.

Aside of which the austerity seems to be selective - we have always found the dosh for the odd NATO excercise when it suits so now that little caper is over perhaps a bailout is not such a big deal. Perhaps its a terminology thing - we couldnt afford a Libyan bailout now could we so lets call it a NATO exercise.

None whatsoever - they have been guided by their peers and government pretty much as we have.

Aside of which the austerity seems to be selective - we have always found the dosh for the odd NATO excercise when it suits so now that little caper is ove perhaps a bailout is not such a big deal or perhaps its a terminology thing - we couldnt afford a Libyan Bbailout now could we so lets call it a NATO exercise.

You'll have to explain your second paragraph...I don't understand it..

Archived