Cops attack car with baseball bats and keep their jobs.

It depends on the nature of the misconduct - that approach to detaining a car driver is widely accepted under the right circumstances.

Quite true. Unless you know the full circumstances it would be unwise to make a judgement.

It's very easy for people like the OP to sit in their nice cushy office passing judgement on the police, but until you've done a job where you're at risk of violence from thugs, drug dealers, armed criminals and asylum seekers every day, you don't know what you're talking about!

Quite true. Unless you know the full circumstances it would be unwise to make a judgement.

It's very easy for people like the OP to sit in their nice cushy office passing judgement on the police, but until you've done a job where you're at risk of violence from thugs, drug dealers, armed criminals and asylum seekers every day, you don't know what you're talking about!

I have not passed judgement.

Nice little slip in about asylum seekers though, that will get the thread going.

But the coppers have been found guilty of misconduct..I think that was Alex's point...

But the coppers have been found guilty of misconduct..I think that was Alex's point...

Dunno about you, but misconduct doesn't mean dismissal where I work. Gross misconduct might do, but just misconduct normally just results in a warning and possibly a demotion, as happened to one of the coppers here. Not really much of a story really, despite Alex's attempt to turn it into a police-bashing thread.

It may be just me, but I remember that when I was a teenager, Policemen seemed like uniformed members of the society they served. If you saw one in town, he'd be wearing the

same comedy pointy hat as Dixon of Dock Green, or PC Plod in Noddy.

They didn't carry guns, American-style batons, didn't wear stab vests, and didn't have shaven heads that made them look like Millwall

supporters on an awayday. They didn't wear combat boots and paramilitary trousers and jackets, they wore a smart uniform, with polished buttons. Their handcuffs were discreetly stored away, and even the truncheon wasn't visible, being stowed in a special pocket.

They didn't look like, or try to look like the SAS preparing to go into action.

As a result, they seemed unthreatening and approachable, and if you were a law abiding sort of person, you automatically respected

and sympathised with them, as there was no real 'us and them'. You could ask them directions or for the time, without worrying that

they might shoot you in the face.

There were places on the continent where they had paramilitary type police forces (the French CRS, for example) and there always seemed

to be much more of an us-and-them division in those countries, between population and police.

And now we have our own Police forces becoming ever more full of PCs who look like shaven headed thugs, who favour baseball caps or

military style caps over the traditional helmet, and who dress like the Lidl version of commandos, with all of their equipment on open display

in their belts. I am a law abiding sort of person, but I no longer automatically respect and sympathise with them, and there does feel to be

a real distrust between Police and public.

This has contributed to the canteen culture that increasingly infects the Police, and this separateness has made it easier for the bad

apples to treat the population they deal with with contempt and casual brutality.

It may be just me, but I remember that when I was a teenager, Policemen seemed like uniformed members of the society they served. If you saw one in town, he'd be wearing the

same comedy pointy hat as Dixon of Dock Green, or PC Plod in Noddy.

They didn't carry guns, American-style batons, didn't wear stab vests, and didn't have shaven heads that made them look like Millwall

supporters on an awayday. They didn't wear combat boots and paramilitary trousers and jackets, they wore a smart uniform, with polished buttons. Their handcuffs were discreetly stored away, and even the truncheon wasn't visible, being stowed in a special pocket.

They didn't look like, or try to look like the SAS preparing to go into action.

As a result, they seemed unthreatening and approachable, and if you were a law abiding sort of person, you automatically respected

and sympathised with them, as there was no real 'us and them'. You could ask them directions or for the time, without worrying that

they might shoot you in the face.

There were places on the continent where they had paramilitary type police forces (the French CRS, for example) and there always seemed

to be much more of an us-and-them division in those countries, between population and police.

And now we have our own Police forces becoming ever more full of PCs who look like shaven headed thugs, who favour baseball caps or

military style caps over the traditional helmet, and who dress like the Lidl version of commandos, with all of their equipment on open display

in their belts. I am a law abiding sort of person, but I no longer automatically respect and sympathise with them, and there does feel to be

a real distrust between Police and public.

This has contributed to the canteen culture that increasingly infects the Police, and this separateness has made it easier for the bad

apples to treat the population they deal with with contempt and casual brutality.

What an excellent post. Well said.

Regards

Angel.

Archived