Why do shops sell baseball bats?

The only exciting minutes in any baseball game are when the bases are loaded, the scores are tied, it's the bottom of the ninth innings and the last batter is up at the plate

It's not as bad as cricket though. That's the best cure for insomnia there ever was. Even the commentators sound like they're ready to doze off

I can't agree with you there. Cricket at least rewards a good hit. If the batsman knocks the ball out of the ground he gets 6. In baseball he very likely gets nothing.

The problem is the shape of the ground and the shape of the bat. There is only a triangular strip into which the batsman is allowed to hit the ball. The ball is also way to light, so a good hit simply goes a mile in the air and hangs there for ages whilst a catcher with a glove the size of a rhubarb leaf gets ready to catch it. Game over.

No one in the crowd is bothered. It is dirt cheap to get in and all they want to do is eat crap. I think Crackerjacks are peanuts roasted in their shells. Bags of them kept flying over our heads throughout the match and the terraces were ankle deep in shells by the end. There was also some strange green slime that you guys eat. It looked like a lizard that had been through the blender. Peanuts and green slime; I suppose even that's better than a Big Mac.

I can't agree with you there. Cricket at least rewards a good hit. If the batsman knocks the ball out of the ground he gets 6. In baseball he very likely gets nothing.

The problem is the shape of the ground and the shape of the bat. There is only a triangular strip into which the batsman is allowed to hit the ball. The ball is also way to light, so a good hit simply goes a mile in the air and hangs there for ages whilst a catcher with a glove the size of a rhubarb leaf gets ready to catch it. Game over.

No one in the crowd is bothered. It is dirt cheap to get in and all they want to do is eat crap. I think Crackerjacks are peanuts roasted in their shells. Bags of them kept flying over our heads throughout the match and the terraces were ankle deep in shells by the end. There was also some strange green slime that you guys eat. It looked like a lizard that had been through the blender. Peanuts and green slime; I suppose even that's better than a Big Mac.

Are you kidding? A hit out of the stadium is a home run. If the bases are loaded every team member gets into home base. A count of 4 on the scoreboard.

I dont know what the speed of a cricket ball is coming down on the batter but in baseball it can be 90 plus miles an hour plus and obviously it takes a lot more skill, better reflexes and eye contact to hit a baseball than a cricket ball any day. As for a the ball itself it aint light. A batter taking an 80 MPH baseball to the head could well die on the spot. Fortunately it's a rare occurence and the batter and the catcher behind him wear protective helmets just in case.

Peanuts, cracker jacks and hot dogs plus beer are the traditional fare. At least it''s available on the terraces while watching the game

Once or twice on trips back to Sheffield I've gone to see the Owls play at Owlerton. Half time comes and everybody piles downstairs to get beer. Absolute pandemonium. No queue and the second half starts up again while still waiting to be served. Maybe the ground managers dont trust the fans to behave themselves if beer were to be served during the game. It's a fair guess that a few bottles would be tossed into the field. There seemed to be a fear of violence also. I saw Wednesday play Derby in one game. The Derby fans all had to sit in one area of the stands and the Owls supporters in another. At the end of the game the Derby supporters were allowed to leave first and the Owls fans kept back until the Derbyites left. Police officers everywhere as thick as flies

As for cricket it's a good way to grab a nap after a few beers on a nice warm sunny afternoon

I agree. I was dragged along to a baseball match in Seattle, and it was around 3 1/2 hours of the most mind numbing tedium that I've ever experienced. The only interest was watching the disgusting eating habits of the American public when trapped in a stadium.

Hang on I tell a lie. When it started to rain watching the 50 year old mechanical roof closing was pretty funny too.

They took you to the wrong stadium! :hihi:

No, it all depends on where you go. I once was totally enthralled watching the people around me at the Arco Arena in Sacramento. I couldn't believe the garbage they were buying and eating. And it wasn't cheap, either.

Next time you're in the Bay Area, come to At&T Park. Their concessions are the best anywhere. Garlic fries......mmmmmm.

Peanuts, cracker jacks and hot dogs plus beer are the traditional fare. At least it''s available on the terraces while watching the game.

The good hot dogs. The kind where you don't know what's in 'em but you don't care! Hot roasted peanuts and real crackerjack, with carmelized sugar that they make in a huge iron cauldron and stir with a canoe paddle. Yum. :)

At the school I went to Softball was a compulsory part of the games lessons, we used baseball bats to play it with, they also made us play rugby league instead of union:mad:. They liked to hold onto the old ways I think.

I think the OP was probably suggesting that baseball bats are more likely to be sold for the purpose of hitting people with as opposed to their intended purpose and I'm sure that is the reason 90% of them are bought for:hihi:

I dont know what the speed of a cricket ball is coming down on the batter but in baseball it can be 90 plus miles an hour plus and obviously it takes a lot more skill, better reflexes and eye contact to hit a baseball than a cricket ball any day.

The fastest recorded delivery in cricket was just over 100 mph. I disagree with your assertion about hitting the ball; the balls are almost exactly the same circumference in baseball and cricket. Although a baseball moves in the air, a cricket ball moves in the air and off the pitch, usually off the seam. So an outswinging ball can then move the opposite direction off the seam - very hard to hit. I'm not wishing to disparage baseball, just pointing out that hitting a swinging, seaming fast ball in cricket is far from easy!

As for cricket it's a good way to grab a nap after a few beers on a nice warm sunny afternoon

That's a good thing! Cricket is a great spectator sport for idlers, that's what makes it great!

The fastest recorded delivery in cricket was just over 100 mph. I disagree with your assertion about hitting the ball; the balls are almost exactly the same circumference in baseball and cricket. Although a baseball moves in the air, a cricket ball moves in the air and off the pitch, usually off the seam. So an outswinging ball can then move the opposite direction off the seam - very hard to hit. I'm not wishing to disparage baseball, just pointing out that hitting a swinging, seaming fast ball in cricket is far from easy!

Agreed! Any batsman worth his salt can hit a full toss to the boundary all day long. In baseball they're all full tosses albeit from slightly nearer but you only get one attempt in cricket.

That's a good thing! Cricket is a great spectator sport for idlers, that's what makes it great!

I bowled for the school team for two years in my cricketing days. I know this was amateur stuff but I found it a lot easier to whack a ball with a cricket bat than a baseball bat although I was no batter of any note.

I also played for a few years with our local adults baseball team. There were new challenges to be met. Wearing the glove on the left hand and catching with that hand instead of the right. As for hitting the ball with that round bat? That was the biggest challenge of all. It took a lot of practice and patience. During the first year I played I was dubbed the "strike out king" :hihi:

IMO from my own experience baseball is more of a challenge to the novice than cricket is

They took you to the wrong stadium! :hihi:

No, it all depends on where you go. I once was totally enthralled watching the people around me at the Arco Arena in Sacramento. I couldn't believe the garbage they were buying and eating. And it wasn't cheap, either. Next time you're in the Bay Area, come to At&T Park. Their concessions are the best anywhere. Garlic fries......mmmmmm.

Ball games are not for the fastidious eater or the person obssesed with waist size. An evening at the ballet or the opera would be a better choice :hihi:

A day at the ball park is to have a good time., indulge yourself in junk food, sink a few beers, get in the mood with the crowd sing "Take me out to the ball game" dodge the flying packets of crackerjacks and jump up from your seat when the waves start.

I used to enjoy all that when the kids were into baseball but these days I tend to get bored with it by the fifth innings if watching on TV. Even the Dodgers cant keep me awake any longer :hihi:

For old codgers like me it takes a good fast moving game like Euro or American football or basket ball to get the adrenaline flowing

Archived