Maniac Drivers on the Snake Pass…

I drove over the snake and back this weekend - there are undoubtedly alot of death wish idiots going over there.

I don't mind if the kill themselves, it's when the try to take me with them that it gets a bit annoying.

went over the pass yesterday and it just seems like people are getting more and more impatient. i was a passenger and my mate who was driving likes cruising and was tailgated quite badly even though he were doing between 50 and 70....i know the limits 50mph! one guy in a bmw decided to overtake everyone now i dont have a problem with this but this particular guy was overtaking on blind bends! he were having near misses on nearly every overtake! i mean why is everyone in such a rush these days!!!!

I tend to overtake people if I can, but only if its safe to do so. Usually I won't bother when someone is doing 50 anyway. I must admit I do get a bit wound up when someones doing 30mph and I get stuck behind them. Even worse when its 30mph on the corners then speed up to 70mph on the straights - selfish driving if i've ever seen it. I think there is something about Snake Pass though that makes people want to pretend they're in Monte Carlo - me included :hihi:

Nearly crashed on the way back from fellas the other day though. Was trundling along, a bit less than 50 because it was quite foggy. Imagine your coming Sheffield bound and are just dropping down over the top. Theres the little bridge that takes you right, then you turn left and are on a downhill straight. Well right at the top of the straight, some idiot decided to overtake coming UP the hill and I had to slam my brakes on because as soon as I turned that corner he was only about 10 meters away! He had the whole straight, it was late, there were not many cars, so WHY WAIT til you can't see whats coming? Bloody idiot.

Noticed this bad driving on the Snake a lot. Other week I come over it at 50mph most of the way. For about 10 miles tailgated by some aggressive twonk with his full beams on. Really bad headache afterwards

And for 10 miles you did nothing to make the situation safer? That doesn't make you a full on twonk like him, but is it that difficult to indicate left and slow down?

I overtake a lot of cars on the snake, but I think (and hope) that I'm doing so safely. That's my judgement of course though, so I'm sure there are some people driving along at 45mph (thinking there doing 50) and shaking their heads at the 'aggressive' overtaking.

They probably claim like the OP that they can take every corner at 50 as well, that's simply not possible.

Hi all.

I've recently started seeing someone in Hyde, so living in Woodseats I've been doing a lot of travelling over the Snake Pass.

Now, I'm a very confident driver, my car is in good condition and can handle the road very well, but it seems that every time I get onto the Pass there's someone right on my tail within minutes. The whole road is now a 50 speed limit, and I'm fine taking all the corners and bumps at the that speed, maybe slower if it's in the dark, but people seem to overtake (even on corners) and cruise off in excess of 70mph.

Is it me, or is this just completely crazy?? I can't help thinking that these people must have somewhere massively important to get to, but at the end of the Pass I'm usually one car behind them anyway...

Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed the Snake Pass as being a haven for completely insane drivers?

Yes I agree it is a nightmare road to drive on and I avoid it if I can. I know the road well but there is always some idiot trying to intimidate you just keep calm and carry on driving at your own pace :)

And for 10 miles you did nothing to make the situation safer? That doesn't make you a full on twonk like him, but is it that difficult to indicate left and slow down?

I overtake a lot of cars on the snake, but I think (and hope) that I'm doing so safely. That's my judgement of course though, so I'm sure there are some people driving along at 45mph (thinking there doing 50) and shaking their heads at the 'aggressive' overtaking.

They probably claim like the OP that they can take every corner at 50 as well, that's simply not possible.

Scrolling down this thread I was about to make similar comments, but Cyclone beat me to it.

I'm with you, and it's not that you are doing 50 that annoys me and I'm not in any rush, it's the hard braking at every corner that ****** me off, so I overtake and then I can take the corners at my own speed nice and smoothly.

Archived