Maniac Drivers on the Snake Pass…

I'm with you, and it's not that you are doing 50 that annoys me and I'm not in any rush, it's the hard braking at every corner that ****** me off, so I overtake and then I can take the corners at my own speed nice and smoothly.
As one poster mentioned above, the infuriating ones are the highly incompetent drivers that slow to glacier pace for every bend, but floor it every time the road opens up, making it difficult to overtake safely.

I flashed someone yesterday because I got so fed up of them braking every time a car came the other way. We were following a bus anyway! If that car had just safely passed the bus there was no reason for the guy behind the bus to tap the brakes. This wasn't on the snake though, we'd just driven through Ulley (him at 40, me at 30), then I'd caught up again in the 60 section heading towards Bramptom.

I flashed someone yesterday because I got so fed up of them braking every time a car came the other way. We were following a bus anyway! If that car had just safely passed the bus there was no reason for the guy behind the bus to tap the brakes. This wasn't on the snake though, we'd just driven through Ulley (him at 40, me at 30), then I'd caught up again in the 60 section heading towards Bramptom.

Had a similar thing yesterday with a guy who decided to just stop to let an ambulance travelling in the opposite direction go by. Both lanes were free of parked vehicles and the ambulance had a clear run so i don't know what the hell he was thinking. Keeps you on the alert i suppose....

Things that annoy me on snake pass:

1. As previously mentioned, people that slow down on corners then floor it on the straights.

2. People who brake for every corner.

3. People who toodle along at 20mph and wonder why loads of traffic is building up behind them.

4. I hate the fact that people know they are causing queues, but refuse to stop for 30 seconds to let it pass.

5. People who overtake you, then sit at the same speed as you, just a meter in front instead of a meter behind.

6. When you and the car in front overtake a car at the same time, then the car in front of you just stays at the same speed so your just as worse off as you were when you were sat behind them.

The list is endless.......

Thanks for all your comments, I agree with a lot that's been put on here and I'm glad I'm not the only one who get's annoyed on the Pass.

@Cyclone - I definitely don't take corners at 50, forgot to mention that in the OP. But usually never lower than 40.

After a couple more recent trips it seems that darkness is becoming a major factor. Getting tailed in the day makes me slow down on the straight so they can pass.

In the dark though as it's an unfamiliar road I do tend to take it a lot steadier, guess that's what people can get annoyed with.

It can be valid to slow down on corners and then floor it on straights. It'd be an unusual car behind me though if I was doing that and holding them up somehow!

You do have to take it slower at night, even if you know the road. And of course the car behind has a huge advantage, it can see which way the road is going by both your headlights illuminating further ahead than would their own, and your rear lights and break lights giving them clues about when to turn and when to break.

Archived