Dinner women!! Who do they think they are?

Can I also say that I have nothing at all against Irene-her posts are normally well thought-out and fair, however, I took great offence at her post (she did mine, but as I've said a few times now-this is about the one school) so I reacted in the same way.

And having had a lunchtime in a damp (but thankfully not too cold) playground to think about it, I probably owe you a little apology too. I do see that you are referring to the lunchtime staff at your own child's school but I think initially I lumped your posts in with those of Bluevan and the aptly named (though slightly mis-spelt) Mr Moran & assumed you meant all lunchtime supervisors. Like I've said, I love my job and so do most of my colleagues, we work hard for the children and take up the slack of those who do just stand around and do nothing when a child falls and is crying on the ground. We do our job in all weathers, for an insulting amount of money (in fact we all had a pay cut recently in the name of making things "fairer") and seem to be trampled on by the council & abused by the likes of the 2 posters above. I took it out on the wrong person.

Children can be fussy eaters the best of times, and I think schools encouraging children to eat healthy and try different foods is a good thing, I dont think it is personel to you it is taught to all the children in his school.

This is true. I had a child bring a completely untouched plate of food to me the other week, claiming he didn't like it. He clearly hadn't tried it so I persuaded him to sit down and try a couple of forkfuls. Next thing I know, he's cleared the plate (and no, he didn't throw it away while I wasn't looking!) and told me it was delicous. Of course, that doesn't always work, you still get children who swear blind they don't like the meal and won't touch it but in that case there's nothing we can do except ask the teacher to tell their parents so they can avoid it in future. Sometimes, just saying we'll get the teacher to mention it to mum and dad seems to do wonders for their appetites!

You are fantastic, what a brilliant post! Are you sure your mum doesn't work in the same school as I do?! And of course, the other problem you have to look out for if children start swapping their food is allergies. That's why it's not allowed.

Ha ha thanks!

My mums at a school in Barnsley. I guess its just the same everywhere.

And having had a lunchtime in a damp (but thankfully not too cold) playground to think about it, I probably owe you a little apology too. I do see that you are referring to the lunchtime staff at your own child's school but I think initially I lumped your posts in with those of Bluevan and the aptly named (though slightly mis-spelt) Mr Moran & assumed you meant all lunchtime supervisors. Like I've said, I love my job and so do most of my colleagues, we work hard for the children and take up the slack of those who do just stand around and do nothing when a child falls and is crying on the ground. We do our job in all weathers, for an insulting amount of money (in fact we all had a pay cut recently in the name of making things "fairer") and seem to be trampled on by the council & abused by the likes of the 2 posters above. I took it out on the wrong person.

No worries-my outburst was not aimed at you if you know what I mean, more at the content of your post, that is what I was attacking.

I was going to say why aren't the others getting told off, but, I think this thread was starting to resemble the play-ground all to closely.

Why are most dinner women power crazed idiots! Who died and made them god? My 4 yr old says they check his lunch box to see what I'VE given him to eat and then when he's finished he has to raise his hand for them to check to see if he's eaten enough, if THEY think he hasnt then they make him stay and eat more?? How dare they! My child is fit and healthy, slim and has wholemeal bread for sandwiches, a bag of fruit, a actimel and a biscuit or cracker and cheese, So its not as if ive got a fat child and im filling his box with junk!, Dinner women have always been the same, i remember at my school being practically force fed carrots even tho i didnt like them and they didnt give me a xmas cracker because i wouldnt eat the carrots. Point is if my 4 yr old is full, and hes not a greedy child or wasteful he should be aloud to leave i dont like the idea of some woman deciding if my childs eaten enough! Ok rant over :hihi:

You seem to forget that at the end of the day the school is doing you a favour free of charge by ensuring that the child eats their dinner at lunch time. Its the children that are on school dinners that pays the dinner ladies wages. If your not happy about the way they impliment school rules, get of your arse and fetch the child home for its dinner its as simple as that.

You seem to forget that at the end of the day the school is doing you a favour free of charge by ensuring that the child eats their dinner at lunch time. Its the children that are on school dinners that pays the dinner ladies wages. If your not happy about the way they impliment school rules, get of your arse and fetch the child home for its dinner its as simple as that.

It is quite that le Citroen bleue is using the school to provide free child-care and will be unavailable at dinner time.Your overall points are excellent and very restrained.

I agree, but there should be a balance. For example, I don't think it still happens, but at the school my children go to they are allowed to bring a drink of water. One job given to the older kids was to go around on the bottle stands and smell peoples drinks to make sure it's water.

whoa they may aswell bring in sniffer dogs! sheesh.

Didn't we fight in a war against Nazis? crazy stuff. And the people that are all for this.... typical naive attitude I come to expect from Sheffielders.

whoa they may aswell bring in sniffer dogs! sheesh.

Didn't we fight in a war against Nazis? crazy stuff. And the people that are all for this.... typical naive attitude I come to expect from Sheffielders.

I dont think you did any fighting-and you clearly confuse facism with maternalism.I think you are the person being simplistic and therefore naive.

It is quite that le Citroen bleue is using the school to provide free child-care and will be unavailable at dinner time.Your overall points are excellent and very restrained.

If "le citroen bleue" is refering to me, Then your not allowed to bring your child home for school meals and nor am i using the school to provide free child care, I pay poll tax which goes to the council which (should) go to the school anyway and yes my husband works full time and i own properties which i rent out and pay tax on as a earning, So no benefits or scrubbers in my house thank you :hihi:

Archived