Betty allen medium

psychics=not real.

Is it just the people that call themselves psychics/mediums that you have no time for, or the whole idea of a supernatural in general? I hope its not the latter because whilst I dont necassarilly believe in most of the "psychics" and "mediums" I certainly am not closed minded to the idea of a supernatural of some sort.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it just the people that call themselves psychics/mediums that you have no time for, or the whole idea of a supernatural in general? I hope its not the latter because whilst I dont necassarilly believe in most of the "psychics" and "mediums" I certainly am not closed minded to the idea of a supernatural of some sort.

I do believe that some people do honestly have Psychic powers, but on the whole, IMO, the "TV psychic" types are more fraud than fantastic... They rely on cold-reading, and people "earwigging" and information gathering, far more than they do on their spirit guides.

It is my honest belief that they prey on the vulnerable and bereaved.

I do believe that some people do honestly have Psychic powers, but on the whole, IMO, the "TV psychic" types are more fraud than fantastic... They rely on cold-reading, and people "earwigging" and information gathering, far more than they do on their spirit guides.

It is my honest belief that they prey on the vulnerable and bereaved.

I hear that a lot, and it's something that really puzzles me.

You say yourself that a lot of the tv types just use cold reading (as well as Barnum statements etc), so you know that psychic ability can be faked. You accept that it seems.

That having been said, why do you similarly accept that other people can "genuinely" be psychic?

It's a contradiction to me. It's like me saying "Well I know how David Blaine levitated and it wasn't magic, but I think some people who do it are genuine".

If you know, and accept, that there are people who can perform the exact trick in the same manner as every other psychic, why would anyone believe some but not others? I really don't understand. :huh:

Edit to say - I think with many, many people, even those who only believe in certain people's "abilities", it's more a desire for it to be true, than a genuine belief that it is. People want to think there's more to life. They want to think they can talk to their deceased relatives, because they miss them so much. They want, and even need this to be true, hence it's a self fulfilling prophecy, and they make it true. It's the basis of how psychic readings work anyway.

I hear that a lot, and it's something that really puzzles me.

You say yourself that a lot of the tv types just use cold reading (as well as Barnum statements etc), so you know that psychic ability can be faked. You accept that it seems.

That having been said, why do you similarly accept that other people can "genuinely" be psychic?

It's a contradiction to me. It's like me saying "Well I know how David Blaine levitated and it wasn't magic, but I think some people who do it are genuine".

If you know, and accept, that there are people who can perform the exact trick in the same manner as every other psychic, why would anyone believe some but not others? I really don't understand. :huh:

Edit to say - I think with many, many people, even those who only believe in certain people's "abilities", it's more a desire for it to be true, than a genuine belief that it is. People want to think there's more to life. They want to think they can talk to their deceased relatives, because they miss them so much. They want, and even need this to be true, hence it's a self fulfilling prophecy, and they make it true. It's the basis of how psychic readings work anyway.

I know that some people can "prophecy" future events:-

I knew, without any prompting, on my fourth birthday, of all days, that my mother was not going to see my 21st birthday, and that she was going to die of the same condition that took my grandmother.

This was a horrendous knowledge to live with, for the 17 years or so before it all actually happened. (and yes, my mother died six months before my 21st, and because of a brain haemorrhage, as had happened to her mother before her)

I have told friends that they were pregnant, before they even knew it, themselves.

However, I have very grave misgivings about the TV psychic types. I don't believe they really communicate with the dead. all this rubbish about I'm getting someoen coming through whose name begins with a J... John? Jack...?

I'm all, like "Oh, for crying out loud!!!!" -

EVERYONE knows a John or a Jack.... and it's a pretty big clue that the woman your team overheard in the queue to get into the show, who said "I'm hoping s/he can help me get hold of our Jack.." will want to "claim" this comment. (which is pretty much what you describe in bit of your post which I have made bold.)