What future for the young?

I was talking with some young people today and was alarmed at their desolate view of their futures.

All but one of them is out of work in spite of good qualifications and the right attitude, and they are becoming increasingly cynical. All but one still live at home and can see no prospect of ever leaving, or doing the sorts of things that I took for granted at their age such as eventually owning a car and getting married.

They are good kids, who were promised a future and feel it has been taken away from them. The one's who haven't pretty much given up are seething with anger and resentment, and I fear for them.

They only see the situation as getting worse, much worse, in the long term.

At the time listening to them I couldn't think of anything realistic or reassuring to say, and I still can't. They're smart kids, and can smell bull**** a mile off. Help me out here, what could I have said to give them hope apart from platitudes like never give up?

I was talking with some young people today and was alarmed at their desolate view of their futures.

All but one of them is out of work in spite of good qualifications and the right attitude, and they are becoming increasingly cynical. All but one still live at home and can see no prospect of ever leaving, or doing the sorts of things that I took for granted at their age such as eventually owning a car and getting married.

They are good kids, who were promised a future and feel it has been taken away from them. The one's who haven't pretty much given up are seething with anger and resentment, and I fear for them.

At the time listening to them I couldn't think of anything realistic or reassuring to say, and I still can't. They're smart kids, and can smell bull**** a mile off. Help me out here, what could I have said to give them hope apart from platitudes like never give up?[/quote

.did you get that line from an american sitcom?[/B]

most kids are brought up on bull**** t

they listen to it on their Ipods (rap)every day and think its the truth

what you could say to them is ,....think yourself lucky you were not born in N africa,middle east,or anywhere in the third world were you'd have every right to be seething.

now get off your asses, stop complaining and do your chores and try and think of some ways of helping the older people in this society who are seething because of the spoilt self absorbed brats who have been told by bleeding hearts its ok to be seething....does that" help you out "

what you could say to them is ,....think yourself lucky you were not born in N africa,middle east,or anywhere in the third world were you'd have every right to be seething.

now get off your asses, stop complaining and do your chores and try and think of some ways of helping the older people in this society who are seething because of the spoilt self absorbed brats who have been told by bleeding hearts its ok to be seething....does that" help you out "

What a :loopy: tool.

Bet you hide the biscuits under your bed huh.

At the time listening to them I couldn't think of anything realistic or reassuring to say, and I still can't. They're smart kids, and can smell bull**** a mile off. Help me out here, what could I have said to give them hope apart from platitudes like never give up?[/quote

.did you get that line from an american sitcom?[/B]

most kids are brought up on bull**** t

they listen to it on their Ipods (rap)every day and think its the truth

A valid alternative viewpoint.

Archived