What future for the young?

I certainly think it's a good idea to get them focussed on career opportunities much earlier. Kids who know what they want to do can start planning the path towards it sooner and be one step ahead.

Unless it's changed a lot recently, the standard of carreers advice in schools is rubbish so parents have to make them aware of what's out there. It doesn't help that jobs have ridiculous titles these days and no one knows what they do.

Schools also need to pull their finger out too. What about the American idea of parents coming into school to talk about what they do. Do you think that would work over here?

Who 's REALLY bothered what the young will have to face ? Throughout history, people have inherited far, far worse conditions [ just to give 2 examples, 1918 and 1945 ]. How did we overcome the dire problems ? By re-organising ourselves and hard work. That 's why the Germans are so well off and the Greeks are in a mess------and we are somewhere in-between. You can only live in Cloud Cuckoo land for so long.

So, let our Youf work it out for themselves. It might mean smaller cars, smaller tellies, holidays in Cleethorpes rather than Spain........and less instant food......but I 'm sure they 'll get over it .

I certainly think it's a good idea to get them focussed on career opportunities much earlier. Kids who know what they want to do can start planning the path towards it sooner and be one step ahead.

Unless it's changed a lot recently, the standard of carreers advice in schools is rubbish so parents have to make them aware of what's out there. It doesn't help that jobs have ridiculous titles these days and no one knows what they do.

Schools also need to pull their finger out too. What about the American idea of parents coming into school to talk about what they do. Do you think that would work over here?

True I suppose but in all honesty I still dont know what I want to do in my mid 30s let alone 15. I'm not sure what a careers advisor could have told me then or now.

Who 's REALLY bothered what the young will have to face ? Throughout history, people have inherited far, far worse conditions [ just to give 2 examples, 1918 and 1945 ]. How did we overcome the dire problems ? By re-organising ourselves and hard work. That 's why the Germans are so well off and the Greeks are in a mess------and we are somewhere in-between. You can only live in Cloud Cuckoo land for so long.

So, let our Youf work it out for themselves. It might mean smaller cars, smaller tellies, holidays in Cleethorpes rather than Spain........and less instant food......but I 'm sure they 'll get over it .

It's more of a case of, we need to encroach upon your rights to enjoy the public space in order to make a living. Whilst some land sits idle, unused.

with that kind of attitude your bound to suceed in life---accepting some hardship from time to time.but staying positive and optimistic in spite of it.theres always something to look forward to.

The tragedy of young people is that they are completely disconnected from nature.

They are too "busy" connected with the virtual world.

Make them grow some vegetables, walk in fields, breath fresh air, you will see the difference.

This is very true. Every so often we ban our kids from computer games for a while. They're different kids when they aren't playing on them. Too much playing on computer games puts them in a really bad place.

This is very true. Every so often we ban our kids from computer games for a while. They're different kids when they aren't playing on them. Too much playing on computer games puts them in a really bad place.

i do agree with that.

As an employer, it isn't the degree subject which puts me off - it's the level of expectation some graduates seem to have - especially those in non-relevant subjects (I can only speak from the experience of those I have interviewed and employed over the last 5-6 years)

Of those, a large proportion aren't inclined to start at the bottom and learn the ropes on a starters salary - they want to move straight into a more senior role which they don't have the qualifications and experience for but believe their degree should give them a higher starting role and salary than someone who doesn't have the degree but has more relevant experience and qualifications.

I'm not saying all graduates are like this, just the majority of those I've interviewed over the past few years (approx 20-30 graduates)

I think all this depends on the relevance of the degree and the job..

Archived