Homeless people grooming in Library toilets

I am unsure if the word “tramp” is allowed on here? Not sure what the criteria is to be termed one. Homeless man maybe, but surely not just homeless? Can you be a tramp without being homeless? Anyway, I digress a little from my story.

I went in to the toilets in Rotherham central library today, and there was a space on the wall where I recall there was once a mirror. All that was left were the four screw holes. On reflection, the mirror was conspicuous by it`s absence.

On exiting the toilets, I enquired of the two gentlemen in the cleaning attendant’s office next door, as to the whereabouts of the mirror. It was explained to me that it had been removed because tramps (their term not mine) were using the toilet to groom themselves. “Grooming themselves?”, I queried. “Yeah, they come in here cutting their hair in front of the mirror. They make a right mess, hair all over the place. They put toilet paper in the plug hole, and there`s a gallery underneath”.

“So they use the paper as a plug, and the water could over flow and cause damage below”? I clarified

“Yeah”, replied the guy.

I strolled away to the bus interchange thinking about the conversation. I had this image of an old guy with a comb & a pair of scissors doing his best on his hair and then cutting chunks of matted hair from his overgrown beard, while guys were in & out using the urinals. Part of me was smiling inside, and another part was thinking of a way to help facilitate their grooming need.

Realistically, i don’t think it can just have been a case of “hair & beard” grooming as they could do that in numerous places outdoors with a small mirror. I have to think that there must have been elements of strip washing and feet in wash basins etc .

Finally, do you think it is possible for one to help in any way?

Serious replies please

I can remember that the hole in road toilets had "wash and brush up" facilities. As I was younger then, I never fully understood who used them, but it is very obvious now.

In Sheffield city centre it is difficult enough to find a public toilet now. I know that some of societies less desirables are responsible for that, i.e. drug users and people who should really hire a room. I would have thought an organisation like the Salvation Army would provide this for the street people, you mention?

I am unsure if the word “tramp” is allowed on here? Not sure what the criteria is to be termed one. Homeless man maybe, but surely not just homeless? Can you be a tramp without being homeless? Anyway, I digress a little from my story.

I went in to the toilets in Rotherham central library today, and there was a space on the wall where I recall there was once a mirror. All that was left were the four screw holes. On reflection, the mirror was conspicuous by it`s absence.

On exiting the toilets, I enquired of the two gentlemen in the cleaning attendant’s office next door, as to the whereabouts of the mirror. It was explained to me that it had been removed because tramps (their term not mine) were using the toilet to groom themselves. “Grooming themselves?”, I queried. “Yeah, they come in here cutting their hair in front of the mirror. They make a right mess, hair all over the place. They put toilet paper in the plug hole, and there`s a gallery underneath”.

“So they use the paper as a plug, and the water could over flow and cause damage below”? I clarified

“Yeah”, replied the guy.

I strolled away to the bus interchange thinking about the conversation. I had this image of an old guy with a comb & a pair of scissors doing his best on his hair and then cutting chunks of matted hair from his overgrown beard, , while guys were in & out using the urinals. Part of me was smiling inside, and another part was thinking of a way to help facilitate their grooming need.

Realistically, i don’t think it can just have been a case of “hair & beard” grooming as they could do that in numerous places outdoors with a small mirror. I have to think that there must have been elements of strip washing and feet in wash basins etc .

Finally, do you think it is possible for one to help in any way?

Serious replies please

Are the student forums that dead! Jesus! :hihi:

I can remember that the hole in road toilets had "wash and brush up" facilities. As I was younger then, I never fully understood who used them, but it is very obvious now.

In Sheffield city centre it is difficult enough to find a public toilet now. I know that some of societies less desirables are responsible for that, i.e. drug users and people who should really hire a room. I would have thought an organisation like the Salvation Army would provide this for the street people, you mention?

Tramps only get dressed up for weekends, everybody knows that.

The light in the ladies loo at Graves art gallery is ultra violet / blue. I asked an attendant why and he said it was to stop druggies shooting up in there, (they can't see the veins.)

I also used to work in the Central lending library which accomodated a number of tramps in the reading room where they'd come to dry off on wet days. The smell was awful and they'd be asked to leave.

Poor old sods. Life is really crap for some people. I wish I could help. I always give money to the Salvation Army who work very hard trying to help people like these, but it's never enough. I often wonder what bad luck has befallen them to end up in such a state, but I also know that given the circunstances it could happen to anybody.

The light in the ladies loo at Graves art gallery is ultra violet / blue. I asked an attendant why and he said it was to stop druggies shooting up in there, (they can't see the veins.)

Alternatively, it's a great place to pop some pills, as you think you've reached the next nightclub :)

Poor old sods. Life is really crap for some people. I wish I could help. I always give money to the Salvation Army who work very hard trying to help people like these, but it's never enough. I often wonder what bad luck has befallen them to end up in such a state, but I also know that given the circunstances it could happen to anybody.

Often they are drug addicts who could be easily helped if it wasn't for a country that criminalises their problems. Many others have mental health issues. Some choose to live like it because it beats trying to beat the system.

On my online dictionary, description 2 says this:

2: A person who engages freely in promiscuous sex

hmm I've heard of mirrors on the ceiling, but on the wall in a public toilet? :suspect:

Archived