Fiat Exhaust System

I own a Fiat Bravo ( have done for the past 8 years ) now 10years old but in excellent condition, serviced on a regular basis by Fiat dealership, always been faithful and never let me down, passes the MOT every year with no problems, put £15 in the petrol tank and it will last me 6 - 8 weeks.

I recently sustained damage to the rear exhaust section caused by a speed hump so took it to a repair centre to have a new rear section fitted, they got the car up on the ramp and having inspected it told me the catalytic converter was ok but the front section of the exhaust from the engine was corroded and pitted and that it would be advisable to have that replaced at the same time.....I told them to go ahead with the work.

When it came to paying the bill I could have passed out with the shock, I anticipated it costing me between £150 - £180 maximum, it finished up costing me £318 !

Would anyone on here owning a medium sized family car 1249cc expect to pay that much for an exhaust system - could understand it if there was something special about the exhaust system: stainless steel or whatever but it was just a standard exhaust.

Incidently, it wasnt the Fiat dealership who carried out the work but another well known repair centre.

I own a Fiat Bravo ( have done for the past 8 years ) now 10years old but in excellent condition, serviced on a regular basis by Fiat dealership, always been faithful and never let me down, passes the MOT every year with no problems, put £15 in the petrol tank and it will last me 6 - 8 weeks.

I recently sustained damage to the rear exhaust section caused by a speed hump so took it to a repair centre to have a new rear section fitted, they got the car up on the ramp and having inspected it told me the catalytic converter was ok but the front section of the exhaust from the engine was corroded and pitted and that it would be advisable to have that replaced at the same time.....I told them to go ahead with the work.

When it came to paying the bill I could have passed out with the shock, I anticipated it costing me between £150 - £180 maximum, it finished up costing me £318 !

Would anyone on here owning a medium sized family car 1249cc expect to pay that much for an exhaust system - could understand it if there was something special about the exhaust system: stainless steel or whatever but it was just a standard exhaust.

Incidently, it wasnt the Fiat dealership who carried out the work but another well known repair centre.

You, dear sir, have being ROBBED!!! :mad:

why didn't you get a quote first

Knowing only the rear section was damaged I did get them to quote me before authorising it to be replaced and the price of the rear section gave me a shock, it was only after they had removed the rear section and fitted the replacement ( left it hanging in mid-air ) that they approached me in the waiting room and said the front pipe from the engine to the catalytic converter was pitted and that it would be advisable to change that as well at the same time.

I knew I had damage to the rear section of the exhaust system - the front end as far as I knew was ok - no fumes getting in the car.

Its when they came back to me with the final bill £318 which gave me a bit of a shock.

During 40 years of driving I've had cars of all makes and engine sizes - I've never paid that much for an exhaust in all my life.

Archived