Age Gap Relationships

I thought that you had a son with alcohol issues. Does that not count as baggage then?:huh:

No he's a man now and although I'll help him all I can. Its his problem. Its a pretty stupid thing to allege anyway. My dad has dementia but I wouldn't consider that baggage either, its all part of life. I don't think family members health issues are baggage and I'm surprised you do.

I would call baggage people who bring problems from previous relationships or issues that affect themselves personally, this is a state of mind and not a characteristic. Baggage does not include everyday things that we all live with.

Using your theory someone with a disabled child would have "baggage" which is plain silly..

I reckon you'll realise pretty soon, if you don't already, it was a pretty snide think to state. I'm surprised really and had you down for better than that..

My husband is around 9 years older than me. It hasn't caused too many problems although initially I was a bit of a wild child. I think you grow into a comfort zone once you are both past your early 20s.

However, I've had friends who have had similar or larger age differences and it did seem to once again become a problem as old age approached. The older partner was content to put on carpet slippers and watch TV whilst the younger partner wanted to be out on the town. I think the dangerous time is when the senior partner passes 60 that problems can appear.

Yes it is worse for women. But dare I say it....oh dear...men tend to wear better. :o I suppose age doesn't matter and your age difference is not at all extreme. But when its larger they seldom last...Its difficult for a woman or man in their prime to be attached to a much older person. They have little in common. The ski-ing holdays and rampant sex soon dry up, oops pardon the pun...:hihi:

Sadly, I was always told that men 'drop off' the fit scale at 36 - At 37, I feel grateful I managed one extra year! Women have the benefit of cosmetics and spanx - men just have to suffer the ageing process warts (not myself, of course) and all... Straight men also seem to care less about their appearance, and women seem to be a little more forgiving? I fear you are deluded to think men wear better though - although it seems your nice young totty is good enough to pretend otherwise, for the time being at least!

No he's a man now and although I'll help him all I can. Its his problem. Its a pretty stupid thing to allege anyway. My dad has dementia but I wouldn't consider that baggage either, its all part of life. I don't think family members health issues are baggage and I'm surprised you do.

I would call baggage people who bring problems from previous relationships or issues that affect themselves personally, this is a state of mind and not a characteristic. Baggage does not include everyday things that we all live with.

Using your theory someone with a disabled child would have "baggage" which is plain silly..

I reckon you'll realise pretty soon, if you don't already, it was a pretty snide think to state. I'm surprised really and had you down for better than that..

But children are 'baggage', especially of they have problems. If you enter into a relationship with someone with children then you have to be prepared to take all that on, even if they're adult as they may at some point come back or need financial/emoptional support. You may also end up caring for your father at some point, which is 'baggage'. Any family commitment is a form of 'baggage' as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps you should have defined 'baggage' as emotional issues. What does accessories refer to then?

Archived