Hackers say they going to kill facebook on nov 5 th

I have a facebook account that I use to message people, but I don't see the point of the main part of it, I don't get what you're supposed to do, just post stuff about yourself in the hope that someone reads it and comments ?

I think it's odd, I prefer 1-2-1 communication, by Skype if possible.

There's also a third reason - no reason to use it. As all my family (bar one) and friends live in the UK, anyone I need to contact I can do so via email, phone or face to face (I give all my family & friends an email on one of our domains).

I think that is where the 'antisocial network' phrase comes from. People aren't being social any more. They're typing on a website instead of going to the pub or picking up the phone and actually speaking to someone.

I don't talk to my family on there, both my Parents are techno-phobic, particularly Mum, my Brother has an account but he has his security settings set up that nobody can find him on there, not even me :(

What i find annoying is how many programs ask you get in touch via Facebook and Twitter. I don't have an account on either and i don't want one.

Twitter isn't too bad, TBH (even I have an account there:o).

I vaguely remember posting a few months back about how much guff this is.....it'll not happen. ;)

Some within "Anonymous" were considering an attack, which has now been abandoned (as mentioned in the link I posted in post #2 above).

You can only share those things through Facebook?

Obviously no email or postal service where they live.

People aren't being social any more.

I prefer to annoy people face to face, that way you can see their reaction:D. Not really, but the internet is not the best medium for conversations as we lack much information from the text which we read (no body language).

During the Japanese earthquakes, the landlines were down, and I found FB a godsend to check on how my son was doing....he phoned me from his mobile as it first struck, so that when it was on tv I'd know he was ok.....but then he had to conserve his battery, cos he had no way of charging......With fb, if I couldn't get to him directly, there would have been some friend of his that replied to my query and would say if they'd seen him or not. Some of the reports on the news spoke as if something had happened that moment, but by being on fb, I knew that it had happened a couple of hours ago and that specific danger had passed. As I said in the beginning......thank goodness for Facebook.

Yeah, my daughter's grandparents, who live hundreds of miles away, would be thrilled not to be able to see all her photos of school events, holidays, days out with friends any more. And I'd love not to be able to do a similar thing with friends in different countries. People have such a narrow view of what FB is used for.

I lived thousands (3x) away from my family while growing up. When clearing out my grandfathers house, there were 40 (!!) large photo albums filled to the BRIM with photos, cards, letters and more of my sister and I. This was WAAAAAAAAAAAY before the internet or anything like that. You can still share stories, memories and photos without the web.

Remember, facebook also has control over your photos and you can never trully ever delete them from their database..

During the Japanese earthquakes, the landlines were down, and I found FB a godsend to check on how my son was doing....he phoned me from his mobile as it first struck, so that when it was on tv I'd know he was ok.....but then he had to conserve his battery, cos he had no way of charging......With fb, if I couldn't get to him directly, there would have been some friend of his that replied to my query and would say if they'd seen him or not. Some of the reports on the news spoke as if something had happened that moment, but by being on fb, I knew that it had happened a couple of hours ago and that specific danger had passed. As I said in the beginning......thank goodness for Facebook.

That is a brilliant but rare example.

There is no doubting that Facebook can be and is useful for certain circumstances, but on the whole, not a single person should really be inconvenienced by Facebook having a little bit of downtime.

You can only share those things through Facebook?

thumbs up to this comment ..

some ppl think the internet is only fb they turn on and never leave the fb page or spend the entire day playing app.s ..

I once asked somme one [who was a bit chav ish ] are you on the net so I can email you they said [ yes I have facebook ]

there are so many other better and safer ways to share photos of your kid,s skyp - live messenger - my space the list go,s on ...

its true what the hackers say fb knows more about you than your partner or family do .. and even if you close your fb its still there and active for years after

Archived