Swapping books on buses - Gang colours?

I like to read, especially on public transport (buses, trains, trams etc.). When I've finished with a book, it often ends up on the bookshelf gaining dust. I lend them out freely when people ask, but I'm sure my books could be more mobile.

I'd imagine many other people have the same problem. But nobody wants an empty bookshelf, and people can only store so many.

Some reference books I wish to keep and perhaps donate to the library/children when I'm old, but others I'm unlikely to read on a regular basis.

Perhaps I could swap them with somebody else on the bus, whom has finished reading a book, and is likely to put it on a shelf to collect dust.

But how would I let somebody know I am part of a book swapping movement? Surely I need gang-colours, a symbol, to let people know I'm prepared to swap books.

I can't ask everybody on the book if they want to swap a bus*. They would think I'm a madman!

Would you swap books you've finished reading, whilst using public transport?

How would you identify yourself as a book swapperer?

*intentional mistake.

Isn't this called "Book crossing"?

I believe that it's common on The Tube, in London, where folk leave books they have finished with, for someone else to enjoy.

As an avid reader, I think it's a great idea. I do recycle my own books by sharing them round a few friends who are also book-lovers, and we have some interesting discussions about authors, and their interpretation of plots and characters.

We've discussed some books which we have loved equally, some books where one loved the book, and the other(s) really disliked it, and a couple of books where we've all agreed "That was dire! I want my wasted three hours back"!"

edit to say

Sorry Hecate, I mentioned Book Crossing without having opened your linky to it.

This is a brilliant idea - yes, the cat has a shelf for this, but what if you don't use this pub? One of the offices I work from in Rotherham has such a shelf, and at times if I finish a book when in Rotherham I go there to leave a book and collect another... Perhaps a sticker could be devised, and stuck to the front, so that left books on the bus don't end up in lost property? I gift aid my old paperbacks to Oxfam...

There's a park and ride in Cambridge which has a bookshelf for exactly this scheme - though I just can't see it working quite so well at the Pond Street transport interchange somehow

there's no reason why somebody shouldn't try setting it up though

This is a brilliant idea - yes, the cat has a shelf for this, but what if you don't use this pub? One of the offices I work from in Rotherham has such a shelf, and at times if I finish a book when in Rotherham I go there to leave a book and collect another... Perhaps a sticker could be devised, and stuck to the front, so that left books on the bus don't end up in lost property? I gift aid my old paperbacks to Oxfam...

We used to do the same at work, but now I'm retired don't have that facility. However, I've found that Buttercup cafe on Taplin Road in Hillsborough has books to swap. I took a few there last week, and my friend borrowed some to take on her hols. They bake great cakes too. :love:

I'd join in with book swaps on the bus or tram though, but looking at the way unread Metros are treated, on the floor and trampled, I guess there are some who wouldn't know what to do with a book!

Archived