Swapping books on buses - Gang colours?

Someone on here mentioned a website a while back that does this, I did mean to look into it but haven't and now I forget the name it is something like readitswapit.

Also I know of a couple of pubs that do it and also some hairdressers. You could always start your own if a local hairdresser or pub or some such place has a bit of spare space.

Personally I usually give mine to friends who pass them onto other friends and also get some different ones passed back to me.

I'm not sure this idea would work myself.

I can see Stagecoach and First taking advantage of this and introducing a new fleet of buses called the 'Bradbury Bus'

These would be steam powered and run entirely off books. They would be multi fuelled, capable of running on fiction and non-fiction, paperback and hardback.

I would imagine that the first route would be the new (Fahrenheit) '451' service between the Central Library and Walkley Library ... others would follow. The role of 'conductor' would change to 'Librarian' and he would walk up and down the bus saying 'Anymore books please?'

If this new form of bus proves to be successful, further steps in technology would be taken to produce buses powered by 'nuclear fiction'. Unfortunately, Day Return tickets would have a half-life of just 12 hours so travelling costs would double. :)

I can imagine a bus driver throwing them all in the bin to stop his bus being untidy...great idea by the way..

Which bus do yiu travel on? All the ones I go on do not have drivers who tidy up the bus, there are usually newspapers all over the seats, cans on the floor:roll::roll: It's a disgrace, buses would be great if it weren't for the passengers:hihi::hihi:

In theory this is a great idea - leave the book in the front of the bus and pick up one that someone else has left, but i do feel that like the metro papers on the buses they would end up being picked up/left and ripped etc

There is a shelf where i work of books for people to take/read/return and donate any they don't want so I have recently picked up a copy of The Help which i will return to the shelf once I have finished it.

Maybe you could, as others have suggested arrange something where you work, or in your local pub/cafe or in the hairdressers you use. If they have a spare shelf they could use to donate books and have a book swap that way.

Archived