What does poppies and Remembrance Day mean to the Chinese?

In 2008 I met a guy from China who just arrived in West Midlands to study English. He asked his English teacher about what the people were doing on 11/11 and he got furious after the explaination.

Firstly he (and so does many Chinese) doesn't know what this red paper flower is called, in English or Chinese language.

Then, when someone informed him its "Poppy", then he looks it up in the English-Chinese Dictionary.

The Chinese word of "Poppy" is more likely to be only heard in Chinese history lesson for the topic of Opium War.

No dictionary or people stress the difference between 2 kinds of poppies and 2 histories.

He got furious because British people are remembering their war dead? Or did he think that we only wear it to remember a war that most people in this country have niether heard of nor care about?

If he doesn't like it here he can go home.

Chinese people in Sheffield who don't know this botanic/scientific fact may think that poppies worn by the British is a symbol of conquering China/ remembering its victory in the Opium Wars.

if they were really old and tourists from China then maybee (though i really doubt it) but I find it hard to believe anyone living in Britain/Europe for any length of time woudln't know what poppies symbolise.

He got furious because British people are remembering their war dead? Or did he think that we only wear it to remember a war that most people in this country have niether heard of nor care about?

If he doesn't like it here he can go home.

At that time he just arrived England for around 30days. I've lost contact with him.

He indeed didn't believe his teacher who told him the poppy symbol. The English-Chinese dictionary gave him the chinese word of poppy, eventually made him recall the Opium Wars taught in his school in China.

Also the English teacher was explaning too briefly that she didn't mention anything about "poppy was the flower found around battlefields"/"There's a famous poem highlighting poppies".

So, what I'm saying is the Chinese may misunderstand the meaning of red poppies and Remembrance, but through better explaination this can be solved!

Archived