The Sale of Fireworks

Should Firework sales be restricted to:  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Firework sales be restricted to:

• only display organisations and not to the general public
    • individuals over 21 (currently 18 )
    • Licence holders, inidividuals would have to apply for one
    • Leave it as is.

Should firework sales be more restricted?

It seems that fireworks are increasingly getting into the hands of those people that think it's amusing to use them in dangerous/anti-social manners, whether it be to throw them at other people or setting them off in the early hours.

My personal view is that there should be further restrictions in the form of a licence. Individuals would have to apply for these at a cost and there would be restrictions on who can obtain such a licence.

-Individual licences/permits = more costs (it won't just be the individual that pays).

-Age restriction could be changed, but then you can operate a potential lethal machine at 17 (car) or even younger in some circumstance I believe (eg agricultural machines unless rules have changed).

-organised events only? I'd be disappointed to see fireworks effectively get banned, that's never the answer IMO. However I would never object to Police acting if they find someone being reckless with fireworks

So I went for leave it as is. Perhaps we could consider rules that rather than banning fireworks, restrict their use to appropriate areas, ie not having 5 tonne rockets going off over city centre!

Ban them, a few idiots should dictate what we all have to do.

Same for driving, there a few very bad drivers, so driving should be banned for everyone.

And drinking, there are some drunks, so drinking should be banned for everyone.

-Age restriction could be changed, but then you can operate a potential lethal machine at 17 (car) or even younger in some circumstance I believe (eg agricultural machines unless rules have changed).

The comparison isn't fair though. Cars are a great benefit to society, and their proper use outbalances their improper use. Banning them would be silly.

Fireworks have very little benefit to society, and their misuse is a source of trouble. Banning them wouldn't have such a bad outcome.

The comparison isn't fair though. Cars are a great benefit to society, and their proper use outbalances their improper use. Banning them would be silly.

Fireworks have very little benefit to society, and their misuse is a source of trouble. Banning them wouldn't have such a bad outcome.

You have a fair point. Though regarding the bit I've emboldened I'd suggest we should prosecute/punish the minority rather than spoil it for everyone who can enjoy fireworks sensibly.

I hate the way "we" seem to want to ban things so readily. Deal with the muppets properly so everyone else can get on with it.

I don't think I'd argue about a reasonable limit on the size/power of them though.

-Individual licences/permits = more costs (it won't just be the individual that pays).

-organised events only? I'd be disappointed to see fireworks effectively get banned, that's never the answer IMO. However I would never object to Police acting if they find someone being reckless with fireworks

So I went for leave it as is. Perhaps we could consider rules that rather than banning fireworks, restrict their use to appropriate areas, ie not having 5 tonne rockets going off over city centre!

I know the democratic civilised New South Wales in Australia is fireworks banned to everyone except licensed fireworks display.

Non-democratic country include Vietnam which is also fireworks banned.

Non-democratic country of P.R.China used to ban fireworks only in the inner part of major large cities, but dropped a few years ago.

Archived