The Sale of Fireworks

Should Firework sales be restricted to:  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Firework sales be restricted to:

• only display organisations and not to the general public
    • individuals over 21 (currently 18 )
    • Licence holders, inidividuals would have to apply for one
    • Leave it as is.

apparently there aren't any 'legal minimum age' of 21 rather than 18 for puchasing things.

Except some individual firms set their own policy, like:

a bargain retailer beginning its name with P ---- blade products (18 in law) and aerosol paint can (16 in law only)

A few night venues in town

I think if fireworks have to be banned to under 21 then this may be the first one to be 21 rather than 18 or less.

I don't think they should be banned from use by the general public. Banning things is the wrong way to go. Just because a small minority choose to lark about with them and ruin it for the majority, it shouldn't be the rest of us who have to suffer for it. It's like driving. There are some bad and dangerous drivers out there, but does that mean banning us all from driving?

I think more should be done to promote their safety though. All we ever get is the annual "no nonsense" talks in schools and the odd safety adverts.

Don't know what the answer is but safety ads only reach those that already know how to behave, they fly right by the divs.

Not so sure licensing is the way to go but NO to a ban.

Ban them, tonight, to save any more casualties. The shops that sell them are dealers in death.

I do of course jest. They annoy me. But people with loud stereos annoy me. People in general annoy me. I'll be very surprised if anyone can find an article in the past 25 years in south Yorkshire where someone has been killed by a firework. Injured, yes damage to property, yes ( I recall a near miss to a house in eckington I think) even blindness. But dog poo can blind people as well.

The rules are generally fine as they are. Maybe a reduction in the size of them. When I was a lad it was 321 bangers, now they sound like cluster bombs. That aside fine the shops heavily that sell them to kids and come down hard on the kids that get them and misuse them.

Mind you, didn't hear that many last night.

Ban them, tonight, to save any more casualties. The shops that sell them are dealers in death.

I do of course jest. They annoy me. But people with loud stereos annoy me. People in general annoy me. I'll be very surprised if anyone can find an article in the past 25 years in south Yorkshire where someone has been killed by a firework. Injured, yes damage to property, yes ( I recall a near miss to a house in eckington I think) even blindness. But dog poo can blind people as well.

The rules are generally fine as they are. Maybe a reduction in the size of them. When I was a lad it was 321 bangers, now they sound like cluster bombs. That aside fine the shops heavily that sell them to kids and come down hard on the kids that get them and misuse them.

Mind you, didn't hear that many last night.

You obviously didn't read the paper a couple of years ago a woman was seriously injured when a yob threw a firework at her.

I think the age at which someone should be able to buy fireworks should be raised to 21. I have enjoyed my evening stroll watching all the fireworks and seeing how different people enjoy them. I have been in awe at some of the more powerful fireworks that boom and shake the ground as well as the the brilliant and varied visual displays that can be achieved. I have laughed at some of the pathetic excuses some people have been fobbed off with by there underwhelming box of flat farts (but funny because of this). The most shocking thing I have seen this eve was a group of young lads actually firing fireworks at each other, the fireworks they were firing were the type of multiple shot fireworks that shoot coloured balls and they were quite powerful ones at that, how none of them never got injured I don't know.

You obviously didn't read the paper a couple of years ago a woman was seriously injured when a yob threw a firework at her.

You obviously didn't read the paper yesterday wher ethere was a massive crash on the M5, lets ban all cars!!

Oh by the way firework related injuries have been dropping year on year. Can you say this about knife injuries, car injuries etc etc.

My eldest lad (13) worked for Trading Standards on Friday night which involved going round 15 shops trying to buy fireworks and not one of them would sell them to him.

Well done to the shops, and to Trading Standards for doing this.

You obviously didn't read the paper yesterday wher ethere was a massive crash on the M5, lets ban all cars!!

Oh by the way firework related injuries have been dropping year on year. Can you say this about knife injuries, car injuries etc etc.

If you read this forum you will see my comments on that.Perhaps the injuries have fallen due to fewer people having more sense and not wasting money on them.

Archived