Scraps not allowed!!

I went to a chippy in Woodhouse today and asked for a chip butty, as it was friday I decided to push the boat out and ask for scraps on it.

The lass behind the counter said that she couldnt give scraps out anymore due to health & safety reasons. I asked her if she was pulling my leg but she said no, apparently they cant give them out in case people choke on them (and she said all this with a straight face!)

Has anyone else come across this strange new rule?

Radio Sheffield :Toby Foster: has proved this to be [removed] lies lies all lies i dont know why some chippies are saying this but apparently there is/was a lot refusing scraps in Chesterfield due to health and safety instructions which they said the H and safety officer called in the chippie every month to observe them. T.F investigated, no such instruction were ever given by the H and S officers in fact according to T.F they could not stop laughing.

i worked in a chippy years ago and we didn't give scraps out because we recycled them in a spinner to extract the fat and use it again in the fryers!

I've heard that before and i've also heard that they sell them on to pet food makers but I go to this chippy once every couple of weeks and they have always given scraps!

There is no Health and Safety legislation that means chip shops are not allowed/supposed to sell scraps.

Individual chippies, scared of being the victim of a frivolous lawsuit from someone who chokes on scraps, might decline to hand them out, and might cite "health and safety" as the reason. You could even argue that they're right, but a distinction must be drawn between someone making their own decision because of "health and safety" concerns, and the official Health and Safety Executive having anything to do with it.

Archived