M5 crash: several feared dead in 'worst ever' crash in Somerset

Amazing. A lorry fell off a bridge onto a motorway last night, killing the driver and it barely gets a mention.

In the four days since this major accident, the number of deaths on the road is probably over two dozen - none of those have reached the news, but a mere seven deaths makes enormous headlines simply because they all happened at once.

• 11 months later...
Correctamundo. When event pros like firework companies say no, they do it for a reason. I still feel sorry for the bloke though. I doubt he did it on purpose and it must haunt him.

I agree, they needed a scapegoat and found one.

It was very foggy on the M53 when I went to work yesterday. Luckily there were no crashes. If they were who would they have liked to pin that on?

Fog, smoke, poor visibility happens. Drivers rarely seem to change their driving style to accommodate this.

The drivers should have been concentrating on the road and conditions not watching fireworks.The bloke who was doing the display cannot be blamed another bit of police looking for the easy way out. We are all responsible for our own actions the fireworks were stood still the vehicles were not.How many times do you follow another car and see the driver looking at the passenger when they are talking,this to me is driving without due care and attention and fits in the same category as looking at the fireworks.

The drivers should have been concentrating on the road and conditions not watching fireworks.The bloke who was doing the display cannot be blamed another bit of police looking for the easy way out.
If they were looking to do that they would have blamed one of the dead drivers.

We are all responsible for our own actions the fireworks were stood still the vehicles were not.How many times do you follow another car and see the driver looking at the passenger when they are talking,this to me is driving without due care and attention and fits in the same category as looking at the fireworks.

I don't think there's any suggestion people were watching the firework display is there?

Fog, smoke, poor visibility happens. Drivers rarely seem to change their driving style to accommodate this.

Wasn't the bank of dense smoke around a bend? The motorway is on a viaduct there. I certainly would expect to be taken unawares by a firework going off alongside me - though I have no recollection of the fireworks being mentioned by witnesses, which is why fog was initially stated as the cause. Witnesses did not know it was smoke

Archived