M5 crash: several feared dead in 'worst ever' crash in Somerset

If they were looking to do that they would have blamed one of the dead drivers.

I don't think there's any suggestion people were watching the firework display is there?

You cannot put a dead driver in court so no one will ever know.Oh I forgot,no one would look at fireworks when they were driving would they? So why did the first driver slam on the anchors? If there was fog he would have seen it well before he arrived,fog just does not descend in a moment.I'm not trying to point score here just trying to say that the driver was 100 per cent to blame after all it was he who was behind the wheel.

...I don't think there's any suggestion people were watching the firework display is there?

I wonder.

About 4 miles up the road from where I live in summer there are - on the average Saturday - 4 or 5 accidents involving people heading southbound.

They've come off the motorway (and the speed limit for the last 2 miles of the motorway and for the first mile of the single-carriageway is reduced to 50 mph because of the accident risk.)

The accidents don't occur as people join the single carriageway road - they're usually paying attention as they do that - they occur about half a mile to a mile further on.

A driver looks over to the left (and the scenery is pretty stunning) and says to himself: "Wow! look at those mountains!"

The driver ahead also looked to the left. He said to himself: "Wow! Look at those mountains! If I slow down I won't scare them away and I'll get a better look."

4 or 5 seconds later: "Bang!" One car rear-ends the other. This happens 4 or 5 times every Saturday in summer.

There's nothing wrong with the road.

It's not the mountains' fault.

People know they're supposed to look where they're going, but when they see something they didn't expect, they seem to forget to look where they're going.

• 1 year later...

Archived