M5 crash: several feared dead in 'worst ever' crash in Somerset

Been listening this to the news reports on the radio, it's truly not sickening. I'd put the TV and watch it live on but I think watching it would be truly distasteful, disrespectul and totally unacceptable.

Could you explain that? Why is the crash "not sickening"?

That is truly shocking. Driving rain and thick fog, and STILL people weren't slowing down?

And sadly in a few weeks time it will be all forgotten and people will continue to drive too fast and too close on the motorway.

There's a contraflow on the m53 near me with a 50mph speed limit. At the start everyone stuck to the limit, now nobody does.

For too long motorists have been allowed to get away with poor lax driving and I'm hoping this is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Death be it by car,gun,knife or bomb is still death and people who are found guilty usually get a light sentence when its a car that causes it,the penalties should be equal no matter what the circumstances are,ie life sentence because thats what the bereaved get.

Isn't it a bit early to start talking about prosecutions? The emergency services are still looking for bodies. Let's wait for the facts to emerge.

What facts,people have died,its not the vehicles or the road thats at fault its human error.

We don't know that - just to pick one scenario, a vehicle at the front may have had a tyre blowout. Until the police have finished their investigation we simply don't have the full picture.

Many families are grieving today; let's leave the recriminations for another day.

Ah, so brakes can't fail or engines cut out. Where there's blame there is after all, a claim. So even if it is driver error they should go to jail forlife in the same way a an armed robber who shoots and kills a shop worker.

I do 25k plus up and down the highways and byways in this country. Someone will cut you up. Someone will be on a phone somewhere. A tyre could blow out and send a vehicle sliding across 3 lanes of traffic. It's a sobering thought that 50 odd people were going to or from work or holiday and at least 7 have died.

But for the grace of god go I.

Archived