How am I supposed to buy food & heating tokens with only £14.25 a week?

Does anyone know how you would go about being a job seeker in Spain or another warm EU country, because that would save some of the costs associated with running an house in the UK.

Would the JBA still come from UK or does Spain have JBA would an unemployed person here be entitled to help in another EU country.

Finally got my JSA & Housing / Council benefit claim sorted, done a spreadsheet of the bare minimum I must pay out every week and only have £14.25 each week for Food, Heating Tokens & Petrol.

Until I get another job how do you other JSA claimants survive? Any tips or advice massively appreciated

Income Net Job Seekers Allowance..£67.50

Rent(Housing Benefit).............£56.38

Council Tax (Council Tax Benefit)....£18.92

Rent Contribution.........................£3.50

Council Tax Contribution................£2.00

Service Charge............................£4.00

Levy TARA..................................£0.20

Water Rates................................£7.80

Home Insurance...........................£2.00

Electricity...................................£7.00

Bank Overdraft (Average so far).....£6.78

Internet Broadband.......................£0.80

Telephone Line Rental....................£2.77

Talk Mobile..................................£1.85

TV License..................................£3.00

Sky Sports..................................£4.61

Parking Site.................................£2.00

Allotment....................................£0.94

Lottery.......................................£4.00

Car Debt

Car Insurance

Breakdown Cover

Road Tax

Petrol

Grand Total of.............................£47.75

From JSA....................................£67.50

Leaves.......................................£14.25...............For.......

Food &

Heating Tokens

No lottery(mugs),mobile,Sky ,water rates(get meter fitted) will double your food spend.

The answer to the OP is simple. You can't run a house on JSA.

The cretins who don't want to work and who live in a household of equally non-workers are okay because they have more money to go round. Also the kids who live with their parents use it as disposable income.

Sorry mate. Being unemployed and surviving on JSA running a house is extremely stressful. Ignore these lot, or set a challenge to them to see if they can do it for two months

Set a challenge. The challenge is supporting yourself in the lifestyle you lead. You know the challenge of actually holding down work and obtaining a regular income. The challenge of paying into a system that helps to fund people's Sky watching habits.

I counter your challenge and ask the OP to see if he/she can hold down a low paid job knowing that people can do no work and earn more than him.

P.S. The above is not aimed at the OP. I sympathise with your situation and I can't judge as I don't know how you got in your situation.

I can criticise the tool above though. Challenge my arse.

The reason I'm setting the challenge is that some people on here think that JSA is a lifestyle. It isn't. You can't compare it with holding down a job! The OP said that at last his JSA has come through which implies that he's not been out of work that long and was seeking advice.

Also, I believe that there are over 2.5million out of work at the moment. That's an awful lot of people who don't want to work. Why do the majority on here think that they are sensibly contributing to the debate by telling him to get a job then. Of course it is the answer but it's hardly helpful.

I also agree with the person who said that defaulting on a loan (sky) is the worst thing to do as it will affect credit status in the future. The poor OP is stuck between a rock and a hard place until he secures a job.

The reason I'm setting the challenge is that some people on here think that JSA is a lifestyle. It isn't. You can't compare it with holding down a job! The OP said that at last his JSA has come through which implies that he's not been out of work that long and was seeking advice.

Also, I believe that there are over 2.5million out of work at the moment. That's an awful lot of people who don't want to work. Why do the majority on here think that they are sensibly contributing to the debate by telling him to get a job then. Of course it is the answer but it's hardly helpful.

I also agree with the person who said that defaulting on a loan (sky) is the worst thing to do as it will affect credit status in the future. The poor OP is stuck between a rock and a hard place until he secures a job.

That he is but asking others to rise up to the "challenge" when there is none. The OP will be making it a challenge if he wants to keep Sky, car and other luxuries.

The credit rating should be adjusted by the way. The OP can't guarantee a regular income. Why should the OP have a AAA credit rating? It's things like people living beyond their means with credit which has caused the current financial hardships in the world and very likely may have played a part in the OP becoming a job seeker.

That he is but asking others to rise up to the "challenge" when there is none. The OP will be making it a challenge if he wants to keep Sky, car and other luxuries.

The credit rating should be adjusted by the way. The OP can't guarantee a regular income. Why should the OP have a AAA credit rating? It's things like people living beyond their means with credit which has caused the current financial hardships in the world and very likely may have played a part in the OP becoming a job seeker.

and not the banks fault for lending him the money then :suspect:

The thing is though defaulting means that when they have got a job, their credit rating may still be affected. Admittedly that is possibly a fault of the system more than anything else.

I agree it is a fault in the system. I've personally suffered from it. If anything it has made me a wealthier person. If I can't afford it I don't even consider it. I have big savings now which mean I can buy a lot of things cash.

The answer to the OP is simple. You can't run a house on JSA.

The cretins who don't want to work and who live in a household of equally non-workers are okay because they have more money to go round. Also the kids who live with their parents use it as disposable income.

Sorry mate. Being unemployed and surviving on JSA running a house is extremely stressful. Ignore these lot, or set a challenge to them to see if they can do it for two months

I did it for 3 1/2 months. Granted my parents, who lived nearby often "did too much shopping so thought I might like what they couldn't use" which did help

Archived