Age of Council houses

No the properties there were built in the mid thirties, so the properties would have been roughly five years old or thereabouts.

There was a swathe of housing built between about 1930 and 1938 in various areas of Sheffield, and you can see the same architecture represented:- Arbourthorne, Manor, Shiregreen, Parson Cross, Foxhill, Wisewood, Wybourn, Gleadless, Woodhouse, Woodthorpe, Firth Park, Longley, Southey, Greenhill, and Totley.

You can see where some housing is obviously a little older, but they were built to the same specifications

How can I find out the first occupants of 70 Homestead Road? Will a Kellys tell me if there is one of that date?
Yes - I have the Kelly's Directory for 1942 (compiled in 1941) which shows "Albert Gittins, plater" at No 70. Earlier directories can be consulted in the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street, first floor), also electoral rolls as Kidorry mentioned . The 1968 and 1973 directories show "Mrs R. Moreton" at No 70 Homestead Road.

should think they are all about 80/85 trs old the then city councilors with great fore sight the over crowded slums and decide to build council estates out towards the country side like parson cros aebourthorne, southy green, fox hill, etc they saw the need for kids to grow up in fresh air and to have a garden a house with hot running water bathrooms indoor toilest in some cases central heating but not all i used to work for the council and studied the councillores like ironmonger sid dyson and a good few other, without the need for overvrowding or high rise at that time these councillores should be praised the waay they developed social housing and its not their fault that some housing estates became sink estates whuch i dont think exist any more but these houses that were built have now had their time and need to much work doing on them,

Can anyone remember what the procedure was in the 1940s for obtaining a Council house? Were there Housing offices?

there were public works department offices where you could go and order repairs, and I think pay rent. I remember there being one on Eastern Drive, in Arbourthorne.

I remember in the 1960s and 70s, before the egg-box town hall extension opened, going to the Housing department's old factory buildings in Pond Street with my mother to the basement to pay our rent. Was it George Senior's factory, or something? I forget. It was at the bottom of Pond Hill, next to the SUT coaching offices.

Archived