Paraplegic Walk Again Ekso robot suit wow

just seen this and all I can say is wow and about time

Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk Again

A paraplegic woman has been fitted with an artificial skeleton that allows her to stand and walk.

Amanda Boxtel was paralysed from the hips down in a skiing accident nearly 20 years ago.

But a wearable robot supports her torso and powers her legs.

It's called an 'exoskeleton' after the hard outer shell of insects that gives their bodies support.

"When I walk in the suit it is very smooth," she told Sky News.

"The step is very natural, the knees bend, the feet have flexion in the ankles. It encases my body so there is very little play in the exo-skeleton as I walk. I feel very secure."

watch the video realy amazing

http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16093536

Impressive but I’ve seen it before a few years back on dark angle.

The problem with these kinds of medical advance is always going to be the cost, there will be a lot of resentment when someone wealthy can afford it but it’s not available to everyone else.

Are you being serious? Or just trolling?

I think they mean wheelchair - I didn't realise at first though.

I simply answered the question asked.

I imagined they meant wheelchair. I also imagine it's going to be one of those where because I'm not paralysed I will never understand how liberated this woman feels whilst as she holds herself up whilst her legs are dragged along dragged along by a machine. It's very different to walking.

Again, she's being carried. It's like saying Stephen Hawking can talk.

When you walk you are just sending electrical impulses to biomechanical joints and muscles. It would be the same principle if I can send the same electrical impulses to an exoskeleton.

Archived