Spending Loose Change?

Over the years I have acquired an excessive amount of loose change, perhaps £300 pounds or more worth. My tin is now overflowing and I could do with the money, so I went down to my local TESCO to check out the coinstar machine and it takes 8.9p out of the pound, but then I thought about using the self checkout machines to deplete my loose change mountain by paying for my shopping in small coin denominations using the coin counting mechanism incorporated into these machines.

Is there anything wrong in using self service machines for spending loose change?

I'd suggest, out of simple good manners, doing so late at night, or very early in a morning, when you won't be causing a hold-up by spending half an hour to pay for a £100 bill in five pence pieces.

It also occurs to me that there might be a practical problem, if the machine cannot physically hold as much loose change as you intend to feed it.

They might well have a limit for the amount that you can pay in coins. If not, go for it.

I keep my 5p pieces in the car to pay for parking. It takes a while to put £2.50 of 5p in a meter:)

Many banks have coinstar-like machines which allow you to pour in all your pennies and it puts them straight into your account without any deduction. HSBC certainly have them in a number of branches.

mmm, Natwest next to the hole in the road does too!

Archived