Does anyone remeber a local band of the 70s called mcluskys apocalyps

jodie123

• 2 weeks later...

They were very 'different'! First saw them at the White Lion on Chesterfield Road 69/70 ish. Mick Wilson bass/violin, Raymond Stanley Higgins guitar/keyboards and Dave Seville drums. Saw them in many places afterwards including Friday nights at the Broadfield, The Minerva, the infamous Weston Park gig(on the same day Peter Green who'd just left Fleetwood Mac turned up and jammed with various local musicians- including Dave Seville on drums) University drama studio etc. Rumour had it that they'd been offered a recording contract or tour and they chose to tour. Shortly afterwards I think they split. Over the years I've bumped into all of them when I least expected to. Mick Wilson in York, Dave Seville at Chesterfield college and Ray Higgins up a ladder on Sharrowvale Road. He was up the ladder, I wasn't.

• 3 months later...
It was formed by a guy called Mick Wilson who later went on to form Mick Wilson's Scratch Band which included my wife as a vocalist. They played in The York and The Springvale in the mid 70's.

Mick Wilson went to King Teds and knows my old mate Dick Outwin. I remember you being around Mick, tho you were a year below me

• 5 years later...

McLuskey's - what a band; mate of mine worked with Raymond Stanley Higgins and said he was very quiet & unassuming at work - came in did his job, ate his lunch, hardly spoke, went home. On that stage tho - whoa!

Saw them all over the place in and around Sheffield (even The Bull & Mouth down by The Wicker) - Friday night's at The Minerva were always special - and one of their gigs there was even reviewed in Melody Maker!!

I remember being mistaken for Dave Seville one night as we had similar length hair and both of us were wearing yellow cotton jackets. Far out!

I remember their version of The Who's 'Young Man Blues' with great affection - it always tore the place down; "I said the young man - he ain't even got a packet of Woodbines; an i said the young man - he ain't even got a bog roll; an i said the young man - he ain't got nothin in the world these days"

Has anyone got any photos of these guys?

Saw them at the Uni and Higgins had a dig at Shape of the Rain saying "If the hole in the middle of their record was a bit bigger you could call it 'Riley, Riley, Wood and W***itt'.

Jeez, is it really FORTY years ago??? Mother!

McLuskey's - what a band; mate of mine worked with Raymond Stanley Higgins and said he was very quiet & unassuming at work - came in did his job, ate his lunch, hardly spoke, went home. On that stage tho - whoa!

Saw them all over the place in and around Sheffield (even The Bull & Mouth down by The Wicker) - Friday night's at The Minerva were always special - and one of their gigs there was even reviewed in Melody Maker!!

I remember being mistaken for Dave Seville one night as we had similar length hair and both of us were wearing yellow cotton jackets. Far out!

I remember their version of The Who's 'Young Man Blues' with great affection - it always tore the place down; "I said the young man - he ain't even got a packet of Woodbines; an i said the young man - he ain't even got a bog roll; an i said the young man - he ain't got nothin in the world these days"

Has anyone got any photos of these guys?

Saw them at the Uni and Higgins had a dig at Shape of the Rain saying "If the hole in the middle of their record was a bit bigger you could call it 'Riley, Riley, Wood and W***itt'.

Jeez, is it really FORTY years ago??? Mother!

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx230/lostrider/Weston%20Park/

Thanks Lostrider - amazing! Frank White playing 'the 1st twin-necked' guitar in the UK - even before mister Page had one. And Mike Wilson in that hat and with those trademark sideburns.

Just great man - every time you look at those image you're right back there.

Thanks Lostrider - amazing! Frank White playing 'the 1st twin-necked' guitar in the UK - even before mister Page had one. And Mike Wilson in that hat and with those trademark sideburns.

Just great man - every time you look at those image you're right back there.

I dont know if you remember "Love or Confusion" from the sixties with Phil Brodie / Steve Pinder etc. Last I heard Phil has Franks Twin fret gibson in his collection. Check out the Phil Brodie Band.

There is a link to Phil's guitar collection from this link.

http://www.philbrodieband.com/

I saw them on many occasions including the Western park gig but one that sticks out in my mind was at the Wharncliffe at Firth Park when the fire eating act got out of control and set fire to the curtains on the stage EXIT STAGE RIGHT they also did some great gigs at the MUCKY DUCK poor old TERRY STEEPLES had some sleepless nights.

Archived