Best hills in Sheffield for cycling? (road bikes)

Mouseman

No, I'll be trying them all in a single route in about 2 weeks time.

Best of luck pal, are you Alberto Contador?

Seriously, you must be a seasoned hillclimber, or a pretty fit guy (or gal) good luck to you! I've done most of these hills (in my own time) but to do them all in one ride is some effort.

My hubby say's try Lodge Lane (rivelin to lodge moor)

Good Luck

That's a hard one! I did that in the p'ing rain on a mountain bike a couple of years ago ..... lungbuster!

Another two are the roads from Oughtibridge over the top to Grenoside (Oughtuibridge Lane) ..... OR from Oughtibridge over to High Bradfield(Church Street onto Burton Lane onto Burnt Hill Lane). Either way are stonkers!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I tried these climbs out today. Because I was starting from my parents house near Dore Station, I decided to leave out the hills over in Stocksbridge, Oughtibridge and Worrall for another day as a separate self-contained ride. The short daylight hours meant it was likely I'd end up riding some of these in the dark!

I missed out one or two of the remaining suggested climbs due to location or lack of perceived difficulty (I checked out roads I wasn't familiar with using Google Street View and those that didn't appear too steep were dropped, although I'm aware this wasn't a foolproof method!).

I started off at Dore Station, meaning that I was straight into it with the climb up Twentywell Lane, then on into Bradway and dropping down Queen Victoria Road so I could get to the bottom of Prospect Place, then back down Queen Vic and left at the bottom up Mickley Lane. I followed the roads back into Bradway, on to Greenhill and down to Archer Road and along Abbeydale Road turning right up Woodseats Road, over the crossroads up Scarsdale Road and along to Bishops Court Road. I went down that and then straight back up it, then the same for Derbyshire Lane. Then down through Heeley onto Queens Road turning right up Myrtle Road and then back down to Queens Road past the ice rink and through the town centre onto Penistone Road turning right onto Rutland Road. I turned left off there taking the road up to the Ski Village, but on reflection going up Rutland may have been harder.

I stopped at the Ski Village for a coffee then down Infirmary Road (fell off when my front wheel got stuck in the tram tracks!) to Stannington Road, which I followed for most of the way then failed to notice it branches off to the right and ended up going on until I reached Rails Road. I went all the way down to Rivelin Valley Road before I noticed my mistake and had to double back, giving me a "bonus" hill. I got back onto Stannington Road and followed it to the junction with Lees Moor Lane and then turned off that onto Storrs Lane (it would have been harder doing that road in the other direction as it has a killer gradient) and then up Spout Lane.

Back down Stannington Road and down Hollins Lane (another I should have climbed rather than decended!) across Rivelin Valley Road and right onto Waller Road. Then looping back down onto Rivelin Valley Road and along to the bottom of Hagg Hill, Back Lane and Stephen Hill. I turned right at the top of them heading out of town on Manchester Road then right to go up Lodge Lane. Back into town on Redmires Road and Sandygate Road and stopped for a break at the Jet petrol station.

Back down Stephen Hill to Rivelin Valley Road and along that into Hillsborough (another tumble, this time skidding on the wet tram tracks rather than wedging in them! Got some lovely road rash...) and picking up the bottom of Walkley Lane and all the way up that to Crookes high street. Along to Manchester Road again and down to the junction with Fulwood Road, turning right heading out of town and going and up back down Shore Lane, then further down Fulwood Road for Gladstone Road and then Ivy Park Road.

Back again to Fulwood Road and again heading out of town following it to the bottom of Crimicar Lane. At the top of Crimicar it was virtually dark and I had one climb left before home - Hangingwater. I'd thought it would be bad but it turned out to be less strenuous than Hagg and Stephen Hills. At the top I headed back to to Dore along Ecclesall Road South.

So, I think I managed a fair few of the hills suggested in this thread. Some got missed out due to being in the wrong place or being basically duplicates of climbs heading up the same hillside (this was particularly true in Fulwood) and the rest I've saved for a day in NW Sheffield.

Bit tired now though...

Sounds like a great ride Mouseman. Not to my taste though. My objective was always to get the hell out of dodge (Sheffield), as soon as possible, with Rivelin valley rd being my favorite choice. If i'm climbing a hill such as Moscar or Froggat, i prefer to be looking at countryside, rather than buildings.

Out of all those listed, i am guessing Lodge Lane was the hardest?

For anyone interested, I tried these climbs out today. Because I was starting from my parents house near Dore Station, I decided to leave out the hills over in Stocksbridge, Oughtibridge and Worrall for another day as a separate self-contained ride. The short daylight hours meant it was likely I'd end up riding some of these in the dark!

I missed out one or two of the remaining suggested climbs due to location or lack of perceived difficulty (I checked out roads I wasn't familiar with using Google Street View and those that didn't appear too steep were dropped, although I'm aware this wasn't a foolproof method!).

I started off at Dore Station, meaning that I was straight into it with the climb up Twentywell Lane, then on into Bradway and dropping down Queen Victoria Road so I could get to the bottom of Prospect Place, then back down Queen Vic and left at the bottom up Mickley Lane. I followed the roads back into Bradway, on to Greenhill and down to Archer Road and along Abbeydale Road turning right up Woodseats Road, over the crossroads up Scarsdale Road and along to Bishops Court Road. I went down that and then straight back up it, then the same for Derbyshire Lane. Then down through Heeley onto Queens Road turning right up Myrtle Road and then back down to Queens Road past the ice rink and through the town centre onto Penistone Road turning right onto Rutland Road. I turned left off there taking the road up to the Ski Village, but on reflection going up Rutland may have been harder.

I stopped at the Ski Village for a coffee then down Infirmary Road (fell off when my front wheel got stuck in the tram tracks!) to Stannington Road, which I followed for most of the way then failed to notice it branches off to the right and ended up going on until I reached Rails Road. I went all the way down to Rivelin Valley Road before I noticed my mistake and had to double back, giving me a "bonus" hill. I got back onto Stannington Road and followed it to the junction with Lees Moor Lane and then turned off that onto Storrs Lane (it would have been harder doing that road in the other direction as it has a killer gradient) and then up Spout Lane.

Back down Stannington Road and down Hollins Lane (another I should have climbed rather than decended!) across Rivelin Valley Road and right onto Waller Road. Then looping back down onto Rivelin Valley Road and along to the bottom of Hagg Hill, Back Lane and Stephen Hill. I turned right at the top of them heading out of town on Manchester Road then right to go up Lodge Lane. Back into town on Redmires Road and Sandygate Road and stopped for a break at the Jet petrol station.

Back down Stephen Hill to Rivelin Valley Road and along that into Hillsborough (another tumble, this time skidding on the wet tram tracks rather than wedging in them! Got some lovely road rash...) and picking up the bottom of Walkley Lane and all the way up that to Crookes high street. Along to Manchester Road again and down to the junction with Fulwood Road, turning right heading out of town and going and up back down Shore Lane, then further down Fulwood Road for Gladstone Road and then Ivy Park Road.

Back again to Fulwood Road and again heading out of town following it to the bottom of Crimicar Lane. At the top of Crimicar it was virtually dark and I had one climb left before home - Hangingwater. I'd thought it would be bad but it turned out to be less strenuous than Hagg and Stephen Hills. At the top I headed back to to Dore along Ecclesall Road South.

So, I think I managed a fair few of the hills suggested in this thread. Some got missed out due to being in the wrong place or being basically duplicates of climbs heading up the same hillside (this was particularly true in Fulwood) and the rest I've saved for a day in NW Sheffield.

Bit tired now though...

I was exhausted reading this.

This was my first ride in a town centre, and so was a nice change for me. It was always going to be a novelty, not a way of riding from now on...

Hardest was Hagg Hill as it was relentlessly steep. Lodge Lane had a few bit that were easier on it where you could have a breather.

Archived