Best hills in Sheffield for cycling? (road bikes)

Mouseman

If anybody is into long killer rides, try the Sheffrec Full Monty, an Audax that was run for the first time last April, and is on the calender for 2012. Its a 200k ride up to Holmfirth, Holme Moss, Glossop, Chunnel to Chapel en le Frith, Goyt Valley, Longnor, round to Rowsley, Beeley Moor, Barlow and then into Dore, finishing in Hillsborough.

And as its an Audax it doesn't cost £50 for the privelidge of riding on roads!!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27450540

• 1 year later...

the rd what runs at the side of broomhead resi nr stocksbr. starts off flat then climbs very steep for about 1 n half to 2 miles eventually leading almost to the junction of delf rd on bradfield tops. all been resurfaced aswel.

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 20:33 ----------

or try smallfield lane at bradfield goes up past agden resi to the tops about mile n half. very steep i know from running up it.

I rode Winnats Pass for the first time ever last week and was actually nervous as I rode towards Castleton as I hadn't been on the bike for a couple of months and was worried I might not actually make it up.

It was a tough climb and although I managed to get to the top ok it took a lot out of my legs and the ride back to Hillsborough was painful. I just didn't have enough gears to keep a high cadence so depleted my glycogen stores quite rapidly stamping on the pedals at about 30-40 RPM. It was a great hill though and the views are amazing as the valley rises up either side of you. I'll be doing it more often now and as my cycling fitness improves during the summer will be trying to get up the leaderboard a few places on strava.

I rode Winnats Pass for the first time ever last week and was actually nervous as I rode towards Castleton as I hadn't been on the bike for a couple of months and was worried I might not actually make it up.

It was a tough climb and although I managed to get to the top ok it took a lot out of my legs and the ride back to Hillsborough was painful. I just didn't have enough gears to keep a high cadence so depleted my glycogen stores quite rapidly stamping on the pedals at about 30-40 RPM. It was a great hill though and the views are amazing as the valley rises up either side of you. I'll be doing it more often now and as my cycling fitness improves during the summer will be trying to get up the leaderboard a few places on strava.

Well done have been climbing that hill for 30 years and have NEVER had enough gears!!The wind is also normally against you,best way I find is to combine in and out of saddle climbing but even then that cattle grid at the top can never come too soon!The reason its so tough is not just the steepness or the total distance its the length of the extreme steepness with most hills the extreme bit is nothing like as long.Done all the steep hills in Sheffield and Winnats is much tougher imo.The only climb that I have done that comes near is wrynose in the lakes.

---------- Post added 23-04-2013 at 21:50 ----------

The only thing I liked about cycling and hills is going down them lol

Climbing beforehand is half the fun of comming back down!!

[/color]

I agree. When mountain biking or road biking climbing is the challenging part, the reward for all of your hard work is the downhill. The sense of achievement when you get to the top of a demanding climb is what makes it worthwhile.

Unfortunately on a road bike the downhill is not quite as much fun as off road!

Well done have been climbing that hill for 30 years and have NEVER had enough gears!!The wind is also normally against you,best way I find is to combine in and out of saddle climbing but even then that cattle grid at the top can never come too soon!The reason its so tough is not just the steepness or the total distance its the length of the extreme steepness with most hills the extreme bit is nothing like as long.Done all the steep hills in Sheffield and Winnats is much tougher imo.The only climb that I have done that comes near is wrynose in the lakes.

Mam Nick via Edale is a much nicer way to the top of that particular hill, or via the old road up Mam Tor, still mostly rideable on a road bike.

Archived