Temporary jobs and benefits don't mix

Agency work, contract jobs and temporory posts are a nightmare when it comes to signing on during down times.

It takes about 6 weeks to get a claim going properly. It just gets going when you get a temp job for 2 weeks, and afterwards you have to start a claim all over again. 3 weeks later the agency gets back to you with a further contract, a months work this time, but then your laid off after two, so it's back to claiming again from scratch, and so on....

Each time you're left without a job and money, you get further into debt either borrowing off friends (until they get fed up) or living off your credit card, just to keep body and soul together.

This is one of the reasons why some people are reluctant to take on temporory work. But as this seems to be the new way of working, surely the benefits agency can come up with a better system that matches the needs of the worker.

Or am I missing something?

There is a system in place to re-activate your benefit payments quickly should you find yourself out of work within a set period of your benefits ending. I don't think this counts for housing benefit, council tax etc though.

I was in a similar position some years ago. I went to Citizens Advice and they advised me to not take any work that was under 3 months in length.

Agency work, contract jobs and temporory posts are a nightmare when it comes to signing on during down times.

It takes about 6 weeks to get a claim going properly. It just gets going when you get a temp job for 2 weeks, and afterwards you have to start a claim all over again. 3 weeks later the agency gets back to you with a further contract, a months work this time, but then your laid off after two, so it's back to claiming again from scratch, and so on....

Each time you're left without a job and money, you get further into debt either borrowing off friends (until they get fed up) or living off your credit card, just to keep body and soul together.

This is one of the reasons why some people are reluctant to take on temporory work. But as this seems to be the new way of working, surely the benefits agency can come up with a better system that matches the needs of the worker.

Or am I missing something?

Youre right its a viscious circle. The benefits agency have been taking longer and longer to sort out peoples circumstances and it doesn't encourage people to take temporary work. I agree the system needs bringing up to date with the current climate of short hours and low paid work

places that are offered.

I was in a similar position some years ago. I went to Citizens Advice and they advised me to not take any work that was under 3 months in length.

That would be bad advice. I think if you only work for a week or so you can just declare earnings for that long and keep your claim going but 3 months is not a bad short-term contract and you'll earn more than benefits and pick up work experience.

I've written a letter to my MP about it. Lets see if i get a reply.

When you do. Let us know! I did 5 weeks work and got taxed 430 quid :o No one knows who to claim the tax back off and when i will get it back. :loopy:

Further up the post i totally agree. Catch 22. I will NOT take any temp work on from now on. You are left out of pocket either with tax or the JC playing games.

Archived