Car valuation? Any reliable sources?

Hi, my mate is thinking of selling his car - a Peugeot 206cc, 2.0l Allure, 53 plate (71,200 miles.)

He has been offered £1'500, as part exchange from a dealer, but I think that is a very low price.

I have checked two sites: What Car? and Parkers and for the year of the car and model, What Car? had a part exchange of £2,740 (for 71'200 miles), and Parkers - £1,980 (based on 80'000 mileage.)

The dealership has stated that Parkers is unreliable, as it's run by the Sun newspaper or something like that.

What should my friend be roughly expecting for his car, if he was to sell it privately or as a part exchange?

Thanks.

Every car on ebay (who usually read Parkesr first) aren't selling @ £2k+.

That would probably indicate that the prices aren't indicative of what the public are paying.

I bought my last car at nearly £1000 less than the Parkers guide price via a private sale.

Parkers can be very unreliable, simply because they don't take into account local numbers for sale and current trends.

The best way to find out prices is to do an advanced Ebay search for completed and ended listings and see what they've sold for. Customise it right down to the name model and year and mileage to get an accurate figure.

As for your car, its a cabrio, and a 2L petrol, getting on a bit and can be renowned for folding roof problems. At a time of rising fuel costs and winter its the kiss of death.

Parkers can be very unreliable, simply because they don't take into account local numbers for sale and current trends.

The best way to find out prices is to do an advanced Ebay search for completed and ended listings and see what they've sold for. Customise it right down to the name model and year and mileage to get an accurate figure.

As for your car, its a cabrio, and a 2L petrol, getting on a bit and can be renowned for folding roof problems. At a time of rising fuel costs and winter its the kiss of death.

How do i do an "advanced" search on ebay and will that show both current and completed listings.

I have just done some kind of search and most 206 Peugeot Allure 53 plate 2.0l, are asking around £2'500 for similar mileage.

My mate has been advised that it is a bad time to be selling this kind of car and it would be better to wait until maybe Spring of nexy year.

But, i do think that £1'500 quote is still VERY low, especially when you compare that offer with similar cars that they are selling.

To me it seems that dealers like to buy low and sell high!

My mates Peugeot has also had £1000 just spent on it and the dealership said that that made no difference.

How do i do an "advanced" search on ebay and will that show both current and completed listings.

Sign into Ebay. Go to search and click ADVANCED. Put in your search parameters but put a tick in the COMPLETED LISTINGS box.

Also look when some of these listings were created. If they've been on nearly a month or relisted then they're asking too much. I bought a Pug 407 in July, sold it in October and when I listed it, it was alongside cars up for sale for £800 more which had been for sale since July.

I bought a 307 which had been on for a month, the guy had had no offers or interest because he'd listed it based on Parkers prices. I showed him printouts of cars which sold within a week because they were £600 cheaper and made him the market offer, which he accepted.

My mates Peugeot has also had £1000 just spent on it and the dealership said that that made no difference.

He's right.

My sister is on the lookout for a 206cc. PM me more details.

Sign into Ebay. Go to search and click ADVANCED. Put in your search parameters but put a tick in the COMPLETED LISTINGS box.

Also look when some of these listings were created. If they've been on nearly a month or relisted then they're asking too much. I bought a Pug 407 in July, sold it in October and when I listed it, it was alongside cars up for sale for £800 more which had been for sale since July.

I bought a 307 which had been on for a month, the guy had had no offers or interest because he'd listed it based on Parkers prices. I showed him printouts of cars which sold within a week because they were £600 cheaper and made him the market offer, which he accept

He's right.

Even if it had been a new engine, although it wasn't?

Thanks for the advise and i'll do some ebay searchin'!!! :)

To be honest, the replacement engine could put people off and make it less desirable. It would bring up two questions immediately for me:

Why did the engine fail, poorly maintained or had the car been abused by the previous owner? What else could be likely to go wrong?

And I'd also be asking if the seller has cut any corners to get it back on the road to get shut.

My sister is on the lookout for a 206cc. PM me more details.

I shall mention it to my mate and send you some info on his car. It's due for an MOT shortly, but has, like i say, had a grand spent on it, and there has never been an issue with the roof mechanism. Will pm you details after i have spoken with the owner. Cheers. :)

Archived