Royal Mail sends letters to staff asking for proof of ID

Do you think its right for the Royal Mail to ask for proof of being british  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its right for the Royal Mail to ask for proof of being british

• Yes
    • No

It is common for employers to do this. I had to do it a few years ago along with everyone else who worked for the company. That was to get the records up to date; all new staff have to present their proof at their interview.

So you're saying that if they are an EU citizen or have a right to remain in this country and eligible to work in the country, they won't be paid because they're not British? I think there might be some legal issues there.

I suspect the OP is missing information rather than that scenario

It's more likely that RM are auditing their workforce for elidgability in terms of working in the UK, making sure that they don't have workers that should not be working in the UK on their books. It's a legal requirement that employers check this.

It's more likely that RM are auditing their workforce for elidgability in terms of working in the UK, making sure that they don't have workers that should not be working in the UK on their books. It's a legal requirement that employers check this.

That is precisely what it's all about - although this

prove they are a British citizen by bringing there passport to work, if they fail to do so they will not be paid
is a little misleading. If they cannot provide proof of eligibility to work (nothing to do with not being British), then action would have to be taken (presumably loss of job) so yeah, I guess that then means they won't be paid!

As others have said, it's standard practice, or should be unless you want to face a humungous fine.

Shouldn’t they have done that before they employed them. :confused:

They are perhaps having a backdated check (like schools did a few years back) to pick up long-standing employees - currently interviews do ask for that in most places as a standard these days.

Malky, it's partly record keeping. We used to ask to see proof, but never kept copies on file. Following the project a few years ago, we now have proof on file that each employee is entitled to work in the UK :)

Archived