Royal Mail sends letters to staff asking for proof of ID

Do you think its right for the Royal Mail to ask for proof of being british  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its right for the Royal Mail to ask for proof of being british

• Yes
    • No

Malky, it's partly record keeping. We used to ask to see proof, but never kept copies on file. Following the project a few years ago, we now have proof on file that each employee is entitled to work in the UK :)

So they have all been vetted it’s just that you haven’t the prove that they have been vetted.

It is common for employers to do this. I had to do it a few years ago along with everyone else who worked for the company. That was to get the records up to date; all new staff have to present their proof at their interview.

I have it done to me every three years.

At the same time that my employer checks that I'm still not a paedophile.

Most large employers do, mine certainly did more than once. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear

a lot of small employers do too - at least they should be able to prove that they have taken reasonable steps to verify the identity of their employees

Royal Mail have issued letters to all employees to prove they are a British citizen by bringing there passport to work, if they fail to do so they will not be paid

What are you going to do with the poll results is there a point to the poll?

............ nor me!!

You've probably got a birth certificate though? When I applied for my last couple of part time jobs around 2006, I was asked to bring either my passport or birth certificate to interview as proof I have the right to live and work in the UK.

As I'm a British citizen I obviously have, but some non British Citizens will have the right also, and they will either have passports showing their visa or proof they are European.

Archived