Royal Mail sends letters to staff asking for proof of ID

Do you think its right for the Royal Mail to ask for proof of being british  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its right for the Royal Mail to ask for proof of being british

• Yes
    • No

When I was asked to prove my right to work in the UK I had a little footle round the government website.

Obviously if an employer is found to be employing people without the right to work in the UK they get into a lot of trouble, complete with a hefty fine. However there are a few closely defined get outs including seeing the passport or birth certificate of the employee. That means that even if the passport or birth certificate turn out to belong to someone else or be faked the employer has shown due diligence so will escape the penalties, Call me cynical (OK you're cynical) but I think it's more a box ticking exercise for the employer than an attempt to identify illegal workers.

By the way,I was amazed how easy it is to get a copy of your birth certificate , just an online form containing some relatively easy to obtain information.

No it just proves you've not been caught.. :)

:D

Which is the truly crazy thing about all of this.

My mobile phone provider knows where I am at all times, but my employer doesn't know whether I've commited a crime, or changed nationality.

Archived